13 July 2013
Diagnosis of Plant Disease in Agricultural Crops
This course will allow you to diagnose and quantify important plant diseases in crop plants. You will learn hands-on diagnostic methods for fungi, viruses and bacteria, ranging from molecular techniques and microscopy in the lab to visual disease assessments in field crops. The course is based on short introductory sessions followed by practical exercises in the lab or in the field. The exercises aim at assessing and quantifying diseases using manuals and assessment keys, as well as microscopy, ELISA and PCR-based methods.
Mogens Støvring Hovmøller, Aarhus University.
After the course you should be able to:
- Diagnose and describe typical plant pathogens infecting crop plants.
- Distinguish between symptoms caused by biotic and abiotic stresses
- Account for basic principles for diagnosis and quantification of plant diseases in crop plants.
- Apply practical diagnostic methods ranging from quantitative field assessments and microscopy to molecular and serological methods.
- Critical evaluation of problems related to disease diagnosis and assessment.
EUR 0: Students on a bilateral exchange programme do not have to pay. Freemovers are obliged to pay participation fees while tuition fees only apply to freemovers from countries outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland.