15 July 2016
on course website
Rehabilitation of the hand
The purpose of this two week summer course is to provide participants with knowledge and skills of the most common diseases, injuries and surgeries of the hand and wrist. The participant will obtain a deeper understanding of hand anatomy and movement patterns. The diagnostic process is discussed in seminars and in presence of ?real life? patients at the ?Hand Center? in Utrecht and at the St. Antonius hospital in Nieuwegein. We will design treatment plans in accordance with the wound healing process and the contextual factors of the patient off course.
We will use various interactive methods to encourage clinical reasoning. You will be introduced to the specialized field of hand therapy during lectures and workshops by hand therapists (physical therapists and occupational therapist) and a plastic surgeon.
During this course, you will gain knowledge about hand rehabilitation which will be very helpful for your (future) professional career.
We hope and expect that you and your future patients will experience benefits of the knowledge and inspiration that you will gain by following this summer course.
Students (with knowledge of basic anatomy of the upper extremity) and recent graduates in physiotherapy, occupational therapy, kinetics therapy and medical students interested in hand therapy.
Upon completion, the participant will be able to:
1. Describe the functional anatomy of the hand and wrist.
2. Recognize the clinical features of common hand and wrist pathologies.
3. Evaluate hand and wrist function.
4. Make a choice in treatment options for patients, based on wound healing principles and functional anatomy.
5. Communicate in English within a professional context.
6. Explain the value of an interdisciplinary approach in hand rehabilitation
EUR 950: Course + course materials + housing
EUR 600: Course + course materials
on course website