21 July 2023
Comprehensive Introduction to Research Methodology and Designonline course
This course aims to lay a solid, diverse and integrated foundation for conducting first-rate qualitative and quantitative research, and for embedding it in effective and feasible mixed-method research designs. At the end of this summer programme, students will have a good understanding of the most important principles and practices of social science research. They will also be able to improve their knowledge and skills independently after the course, and thus pursue their substantive research interests without methodological hindrance. This programme begins with the presentation and discussion of the most important qualitative methods for all students in the social and behavioural sciences. We then focus on the inferential possibilities and limitations of various research strategies, introducing students to the crucial issues of research design.
Dr. Alexandru Voicu
Students and working professionals with a clear interest in learning more about Social Science research methods. All applicants must have a Bachelor's degree (minimum).
At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- understand the key notions and principles behind qualitative and quantitative approaches to data collection and analysis;
- independently conduct a mini-ethnography on a given topic, combining participant observation and interviewing;
- independently conduct a short quantitative analysis on a given topic, using the SPSS software and real-life survey data;
- independently develop a short but sound mixed-method research design on a given topic, combining different case selection strategies in a meaningful and effective manner;
- critically assess the value and validity of published research that uses a qualitative, quantitative or mixed-method design.
EUR 1250: This is the fee for external (non-UvA) candidates.
Please see our website for scholarship opportunities.