24 August 2018
on course website
Operating Effectively Across Cultures
Are you interested in and/or already working across cultures, either at home or abroad? This course will support you in operating more effectively across international and intercultural borders. You will familiarize yourself with culture as a concept, become more aware of cultural differences and you will acquire insights in how (cultural) assumptions have an impact on your own thinking and behaviour. Moreover, you will be able to use the Intercultural Readiness Check© to assess your current competencies in intercultural sensitivity, intercultural communication, building commitment and managing uncertainty. During the course you will reflect on these intercultural competences and strengthen them.
This summer Utrecht University offers you a challenging course on “Operating effectively across cultures”. Therefore knowledge about cultural differences and intercultural competencies become even more crucial in our globalizing world. Performing well in one’s own familiar context or culture doesn’t automatically equal studying or working effectively in an international context or in a multicultural team. Even though we live and work in an increasingly globalized world, in which we seems to look, sound and think more and more alike, we are faced with deep layers of cultural differences. Not only on a national level, but also in many other, sub-cultural ways: e.g. origin, education, gender, age or sexual orientation.
Jackie van der Kroft and Peter-Ben Smit
The course is aimed towards Master students and professionals with a Master degree in any field who are interested in working internationally or within a multicultural environment. Note that good verbal and written command of the English language is required.
Throughout this theoretical and highly interactive course you learn how to become more effective in navigating these differences. Firstly, you will raise more awareness of different cultural perspectives and in addition, you learn how to position yourself in these intercultural dynamics. Furthermore, we stress the importance of communicating effectively and you will enhance these skills through practical exercises. We work with a wide range of learning methods, alternating theory with exercises, games, scenarios, group work, personal assessment, reflection and exchange. Part of the course is a one-day fieldwork exercise in which you will bring all what you have learnt into practice outside of the Campus.
Tags: communication skills, intercultural communication, intercultural competences, international, multicultural, diversity management, culture and cultural differences
Having finished this course you will be able to operate more effectively in different cultural contexts. More specifically, after the course you:
• Have discovered different frameworks to come to an understand of the concept of culture
• Are aware of your own (cultural) identities and how this has an influence on how you perceive others;
• Are able to signal and describe how cultural misinterpretations can arise (intercultural sensitivity);
• Are aware of the complexity of intercultural communication and discover different communication frameworks;
• Know about the effects of your cultural background and personal characteristics on communication;
• Learned about and are able to vary in communication styles according to the cultural context, e.g. to give and receive feedback in a culturally sensitive way (intercultural communication);
• Learned different approaches in dealing with (cultural) differences
• Know about the importance of investing in relationships and networks and developing win-win solutions (building commitment)
• Are aware of the potential of cultural diversity to innovation and learning (managing uncertainty);
• Have gained in-depth understanding of your own cross-cultural qualities, possible pitfalls and ways to enhance your intercultural competences in your own international or intercultural work environment.
Certificate of Attendance
EUR 950: Course + course materials
EUR 200: Housing
For master students with student ID:
€ 400 - Course + course materials (without housing) (early bird fee - registration and payment received before March 1, 2018)
€ 450 - Course + course materials (without housing)
€ 650 - Course + course materials + housing.
For the ones who have a master degree and who are no longer a student:
€ 850 - Course + course materials (without housing) (early bird fee - registration and payment received before March 1, 2018)
€ 950 - Course + course materials (without housing)
€ 1150 - Course + course materials + housing
on course website