26 July 2018
Geospatial Information Technologies in Land Planning and Natural Resources Management
This course belongs to the STUDY ABROAD summer program of the University of Almeria. This Summer Program offers 4-week intensive academic and professional courses taught by Doctors and Full Professors of proven expertise and experience in the most leading-edge areas of knowledge of our University (Science and Engineering, Business and Social Sciences, Computing, Health Sciences, Education, Modern Languages, Tourism, etc).
This program is a unique opportunity for both undergraduate and postgraduate students from around the world to improve their academic, scientific and professional knowledge and expertise through a unique summer academic immersion experience. Since our beginning (2013), more than 250 students from different international universities have already participated (USA, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Belgium, UK, Finland, Norway, Netherlands, Austria, etc.).
The summer course packages include accommodation and meals, local transport voucher, cultural tours and trips, among other. The workload of the courses is 80 hours and they can be recognized by up to 11 ECTS credits at the home university. Please notice that our summer courses are addressed both to Undergraduate and Postgraduate students.
This course can also be taught in Spanish.
Andrés M. García Lorca
Undergraduate and/or postgraduate students from universities all over the world
1. To present the most up-to-date spatial information technologies for the capture and
production of 2D and 3D georeferenced digital cartography from digital photogrammetry
(aerial photography, drones and satellite images), laser altimetry (LIDAR: Light Detection and
Ranging), Terrestrial Laser Scanning (TLS) and Mobile Mapping (SLAM: Simultaneous
Localization and Mapping).
2. To show the general procedures to obtain geo-referenced products such as multiband
orthophotos, digital terrain models and digital surface models, 3D point clouds and vector data,
bearing the idea of selecting the techniques that best suit to the problem to solve (spatial and
temporal scales, accuracy, required information, etc.).
3. To train students in the use of software platforms for the integration and analysis of georeferenced
information such as ArcGIS and QGIS, thus learning to use geo-referenced data from
various sources, both local and remote, integrating them into the skeleton of various projects
(e.g. environmental, agricultural, spatial planning, etc.), editing, analyzing data and finally
obtaining the requested results and derived maps.
4. To extract high-added-value meaningful information from 2D/3D geospatial data by using
the concept of data fusion and specific software as tools to improve the monitoring and
management of natural resources. For example, forest mass monitoring and biomass inventory,
estimation of biophysical variables (chlorophyll content, plant water, vegetation indices), urban
planning studies, etc.
5. To introduce knowledge and know-how about Natural Resources Management and
Integrated Land Planning within the framework of sustainable development.
The 80-hour course can be recognized by up to 11 ECTS credits at home university.
EUR 1800: THE PROGRAM INCLUDES:
· Course registration and tuition
· Accommodation at University Halls of Residence (newly built in 2016)
· Meals (Full board: breakfast, lunch and dinner)
· Free WIFI (on accommodation and Campus)
· Local transport card
· Travel and medical insurance
· Free access to university facilities (library, computer and study rooms, etc.)
· Buddy system (support from the International Student Association)
· Academic events
· Visits to industries (1 – 3 per course)
· Cultural program (at least 5 sightseeing tours and trips & organized social activities).
· Official Certificate & Transcript of Records
EUR 1700: Registrations made before March 30, 2018 have 5.5% discount (1,700 EUR).
· Early-bird registration: 5.5% discount (1,700 EUR) for registrations made before March 30, 2018.
· Standard registration: 1,800 EUR
· Possibility of payment in installments (900 EUR x 2)