14 August 2020
System Dynamics Modelling for Business
Due to the Covid-19 outbreak, this program has been cancelled for 2020. Please check our website for the new TU Berlin Summer University Online program.
This course covers the theory, tools, and techniques associated with systems thinking approach which allows students to understand the relationship and connections between components of a system, instead of looking at the individual components one by one. Moreover, this course provides an introduction to system dynamics modeling for the analysis of business policies and strategies.
The course uses role playing games, simulation models to develop principles for the successful management of complex strategies. Special emphasis will be placed on how to realize the inter-relation between different components of system and then how to quantify these times depended impacts. This course helps students to develop understanding and proficiency in system dynamics simulation to evaluate the future of one business in the real world by system thinking approach to consider the linear and nonlinear impacts between different components of one business.
Hamid Mostofi Darbani
Students with a general knowledge of mathematics and statistics.
• Learn the relevance of taking a wider system perspective in examining challenges and understand why decisions and responses change naturally over time
• Learn to examine the possible impacts of policy changes and technological innovations on business environment
• Develop skills in the use of simple mapping and spreadsheets to elicit mental models of system structures, and be able to anticipate from their structures, the dynamic behavior of simple closed‐loop systems
• Learn quantitative approaches for simulation business policy
• Be able to model and simulate multi‐looped systems by using system dynamics software and simulate possible future scenarios of real‐world business, government, community and global challenges
• Learn modeling software such as VensimPLE. In this course, the Vensim Personal Learning Edition (Vensim PLE) by Ventana Systems will be used. It is free for academic use and available for Windows and Mac
EUR 1950: The fee covers public transportation for the duration of the course, excursions, course materials, and a cultural program.