18 July 2020
Single-Cell Technologies in Life Sciences
Life Sciences research at the level of individual cells is a rapidly developing research area. Traditional single-cell technologies such as cytometry and microscopy are being used in combination with the emerging field of single-cell genomics. These single-cell technologies have important implications for our understanding of cellular behaviour, including cellular development, differentiation and decision-making. Cellular processes can now be studied at an unprecedented resolution, and with astounding results: new light can now be shed on immunity and immune-related disorders, infectious diseases, and cancer. Understanding the technology behind these new applications is crucial to the processing and interpretation of data.
Juan J. Garcia Vallejo
Final year Bachelor's and Master’s students taking a Life Sciences programme, but the course is also open to Medical Engineering, Computational Biology, and Medical Sciences students
After completing the course, students will:
• Have in-depth knowledge of the applications of advanced cytometry and microscopic imaging techniques;
• Be familiar with the principles of fluorescence cytometry analysis and sorting, imaging flow cytometry and mass cytometry;
• Understand essential analysis data methods for multicolour cytometry;
• Know the basics of multidimensional data analysis;
• Be able to distinguish applications of single-cell genomics methods;
• Grasp the principles of light microscopy on live and fixed specimens, confocal laser scanning microscopy, electron microscopy, and light sheet microscopy;
• Know more about essential data analysis methods and ImageJ;
• Be familiar with advanced imaging methods, such as SIM, TIRF, and super resolution modalities.
Contact Hours: 45
Do you want to make the most out of your summer? You can combine this course with a course in session 2 to create a 4-week programme.
EUR 1150: The tuition fee of a two-week course is €1150. This tuition fee includes:
- Airport pick-up service
- Course excursions
- Orientation programme and welcome
- On-site support and 24/7 emergency assistance
- A transcript of records and certificate of attendance after completing the course
- Meal vouchers to be spent at the university restaurant for either lunch or dinner
- A discounted access to our sport facilities
VU Amsterdam Summer School offers three kinds of scholarships: the Academic Scholarship, the Photographer Scholarship and the Vlogger/Videographer Scholarship. More information can be found on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.