17 July 2020
Foundations of International Businessonline course
We live in an increasingly global and interconnected world. Over the past couple of decades, rapid technological advancement and disappearing trade barriers have completely transformed the business community. The world has gone digital and in order to be successful, companies have no choice but to go international.
The new millennium has given rise to new challenges and exciting new opportunities. On the one hand, competition is fierce in the globalized market of the 21st century. On the other hand, access to new markets, expertise and cheap labour is giving companies an unprecedented edge.
Getting to grips with the international context is essential to successfully navigate the global arena. Companies need a wider set of strategies in their arsenal, focused on finding business opportunities around the globe and staying ahead of the competition. This requires an in-depth understanding of foreign cultures, international communication and employee diversification.
This interactive course teaches students the fundamentals of international business, through simulations, games, movies, in-class team assignments and fieldwork. The course will address the following topics:
• Why do companies engage in international business?
• What are the main benefits and challenges of doing business across borders?
• How does culture influence business?
• What is necessary for cross-cultural communication and negotiation?
• What are the differences between global and domestic competition?
• How do companies identify countries for foreign expansion?
• What do you need to enter a foreign market (on your own or with a partner)?
• What is important when leading or working in multicultural teams?
Dr Oli Mihalache
Bachelor’s students from all educational disciplines and all years of study and Master’s students who are interested in learning the fundamentals of international business are invited to join this course.
After completing the course, you will be able to:
• explain different theories of international business;
• solve practical international business problems (e.g. select a country for foreign expansion);
• work in multicultural teams;
• present solutions to practical problems verbally and in writing for various audiences.
Contact Hours: 45
Do you want to make the most out of your summer? You can combine this course with a course in session 2 to create a 4-week Online Summer School.
EUR 500: The tuition fee for a two-week online course is €500. This tuition fee includes:
•Two week online course
•Exclusive content for a limited number of students
•Transcript of records with a maximum of 3 ECTS (European study credits)
•Certificate of attendance after completing the course
•Individual/group guidance from professor
•Full support from the summer school team
•Optional (virtual) social programme