14 January 2022
Qualitative Research into Health Professions Educationonline course
If you’re interested in the qualitative research process and how to go through it from start to finish, you’ll get a lot out of this course. On the way, we’ll consider all the essential phases: thinking about paradigms, formulating a research question, considering research designs, collecting data by preparing and holding an interview, coding and analysing the data, writing up results, and presenting findings.
The course mixes hands-on experience with theory.
We challenge students to practise every step of the journey, and during the course, we’ll highlight all the choices available and necessary when doing a qualitative study. Students will have time to apply it to their own research plans and discuss any doubts and questions they may have.
In qualitative health professions education research, there are many topics of interest, including the experiences, opinions, behaviours, and feelings of the patients, health professionals, medical educators, and students.
Qualitative research focuses on why students and teachers behave in certain ways and on how these behavioural and educational mechanisms work. As a qualitative researcher, your own experience and intuition play an important part in the research approach, which is reflected in the gathering and analysis of your data.
However, when starting your qualitative research journey, you might find yourself overwhelmed by the vast number of options available to you. In this winter school, you’ll learn more about conducting qualitative research, and we offer insights and experience regarding several specific approaches.
Dr Anne de la Croix
This course is aimed at students who are doing or are planning to do qualitative research as part of their Master’s or PhD programme. We focus on research in the fields of healthcare and medicql education. If you have doubts about your eligibility for the course, please let us know. Our courses are multi-disciplinary and therefore are open to students and professionals with a wide variety of backgrounds.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Explain what qualitative research is
- Formulate a research question suitable for qualitative research;
- Prepare, conduct and transcribe interviews
- Code and analyse interview data
- Name techniques that enhance the reliability of data-gathering and analysis
- List tips and tricks for writing down qualitative research clearly and convincingly
Finally, students have the opportunity to build a network of peers that can be invaluable support for continued support after the course.
Contact Hours: 28
EUR 800: Fees:
- Students and PhD Students: €600
- Professionals: €800
- Students, PhD students and employees at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Amsterdam UMC: €500
Applications received before the 1st of October (Early Bird Discount) receive €50 discount!
The tuition fee includes:
- Application and registration
- Exclusive course content for a limited number of students
- Individual/group guidance from course organiser
- Access to all online VU facilities such as the library and online learning environments
- A certificate of attendance after completing the course
- A transcript of records mentioning the grade and the obtained ECTS
- Full support of the winter school team
- Optional online social activity
VU Graduate Winter School offers several scholarships. More information can be found on the website.