7 August 2020
on course website
Learn Chinese (Advanced Beginner)
This is a basic language acquisition course for students who want to build on the essential skills acquired in Level 1, or who have equivalent existing knowledge and want to develop their skills. This course is equivalent to the second term of Chinese language study at university and students are therefore assumed to have some basic knowledge of the language or its script.
Students will develop their knowledge of some of the several basic constructions of the language, enabling them to advance their skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write simple texts, and communicate on everyday topics. Emphasis will be placed on good pronunciation and on the social and linguistic conventions of everyday conversation.
Ms Lik Suen
A university student or a graduate at the time of attending the summer school, and 18+ years of age. Professional experience can be acknowledged as equivalent to a university qualification.
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of commonly used grammar.
- Gain knowledge and understanding of vocabulary related to a range of everyday topics.
- Gain greater knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand passages in written language on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce short passages in written language on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences and short passages on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics.
GBP 1750: Credit assessed - if you have opted to study for credit, you will be required to complete all course assessments. Should you complete the assessments with success, you will receive a transcript confirming your marks and credits.
GBP 1600: Non-assessed - if you have not chosen to study for credit, you will be exempt from any course assignments and not receive a mark.
There is a 10% early bird discount for applications received by 31st March 2020.
The SOAS Academic Summer School is delighted to offer four tuition-fee waiver scholarships to passionate students with a desire to make a difference in the world.
The scholarships will cover the tuition fee for one Academic Summer School course in 2020
on course website