6 August 2021
Digital Media Concepts and Applications
In our changing digital world, this module will provide a deeper understanding behind human perception of multimedia such as colour and sound; how perception relates to the capture, display, storage and transmission of media. This module offers the grounding into digital media of computer science and will interest students looking for an insight into digital multimedia production and distribution.
You will be introduced to the technical principles and fundamental concepts of digital media. This will include human visual and aural perception, pixel-based and vector graphics, graphics formats, networked multimedia, web development concepts, digital video, mobile-based digital media and digital audio concepts including compression.
This module will provide you with a theoretical understanding of the capture, display, storage and transmission of digital multimedia and introduce the technical principles and hardware underlying these concepts. You will put this theory into motion when in the labs, with access to Double Screen Computers and high-spec software to enable you to synthesise multimedia and web-based content.
The Department of Informatics plays a major role in interdisciplinary research centres at University of Sussex, including the Centre for Computational Neuroscience and Robotics (CCNR), the Centre for Research in Cognitive Science (COGS), the Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science (SCSS) and Sussex Neuroscience.
This module offers the grounding into digital media of computer science and will interest students looking for an insight into digital multimedia production and distribution.
- Describe the principles behind human perception of media such as colour and sound and how perception relates to the capture, display, storage and transmission of this media.
- Recognise the wider issues involved with multimedia production and distribution.
- Identify and summarise the technological basis of the capture, display, storage and transmission of sound, video, image and graphical based multimedia.
- Synthesise multimedia and web-based content.
All our modules have been formally approved for 15 Sussex credits; equivalent to 7.5 ECTS or 3-4 US credits. This means that your study at Sussex over the summer can count towards your degree.
Sussex modules are accepted for transfer credit towards degrees at most colleges and universities. But policies and degree requirements vary, so you should obtain approval for transfer of module credit before you apply.
Please consult with your study abroad advisor before choosing your modules to ensure you are able to transfer any credit you need.
EUR 2250: The full cost of one 3-week Undergraduate Summer School session will be £2250. If you wish to study for both sessions then you can do so.
This is made up of:
Tuition - £1500 per session
Accommodation and campus programme fee - £750 per session
Tuition fees of £1500 per session include:
- All teaching and assessment for one module of study. Where field trips or course excursions are required then the cost of this is included in the tuition feer, however travel costs may be required
- A minimum of 150 study hours, with a minimum of 40 hours class/teaching contact hours
- Modules formally approved for 15 Sussex credits, equivalent to 7.5 ECTS or 3 – 4 US credits
- A transcript of studies upon successful completion of the module (including meeting all attendance and assessment requirements).
The accommodation and campus programme fee of £750 per session include:
- Your own bedroom in on-campus East Slope student village. These are a mixture of en-suite flats and standard flats with shared facilities
- Bedding pack of duvet and duvet cover, sheet, towel, pillow and pillowcase
- Daily meal allowance
- Programme of free campus social events and activities throughout each session. Free excursions and social programme trips will be provided on Fridays and weekends.
If you are applying from one of our partner institutions, you will be entitled to a reduction in tuition fees. Please contact your study abroad office or email@example.com for more information.