15 January 2021
Programming in Python (beginners)online course
Python code is relatively easy to read and understand, with a large spectrum of applicability (sciences, industries, governance, arts). Python is in high-demand as the programming language with the fastest growing popularity amongst professionals. Even so, skills taught in this course will be transferable to other programming languages.
During this course you will learn how to solve problems using structured programming. We will use the language Python, but the skills and principles taught in this course are applicable in any programming language. The topics covered are:
- What is a programming language?
- What is an algorithm?
- If statements
- Return types
- Structuring your program
Nick Schutgens is an atmospheric scientist with broad experience in programming computers for simulation and data analysis.
This course is suitable for anybody with an interest in learning to program a computer using Python. Master students and PhD candidates of diverse backgrounds (natural or social sciences, humanities) can benefit from this course. If you have doubts about your eligibility for the course, please contact us: email@example.com.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
• Utilize Python to write small computer programs;
• Have confidence in their ability to increase their programming knowledge through self-study;
EUR 600: Fees:
- Students and PhD Students: €600
- Professionals: €800
- Students, PhD students and employees at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Amsterdam UMC: €500
Applications received before the 1st of October (Early Bird Discount) receive €50 discount!
The tuition fee includes:
- Application and registration
- Exclusive course content for a limited number of students
- Individual/group guidance from course organiser
- Access to all online VU facilities such as the library and online learning environments
- A certificate of attendance after completing the course
- A transcript of records mentioning the grade and the obtained ECTS
- Full support of the winter school team
- Optional online social activity