28 August 2020
Space Mission Designonline course
Participants of this course will design a space mission in an interdisciplinary group. They group will choose their own mission idea conduct a feasibility study. Each participant is responsible for one aspect of the mission but must work intensely with all other participants for to be successful. The goal is to prepare and present a full scenario and spacecraft configuration of the space mission. The supervising space engineers guide the participants through the process. They introduce the fundamentals of space technologies in live lectures and train the participants in tools to make the necessary calculations, simulations and trade-offs.
Cem Avsar graduated in Aerospace Engineering from the Technical University of Berlin in 2010. He teaches space technology related courses and is managing director of the Berlin-based space company beSpace.
Students from any discipline who want to gain insight into planning a space mission can participate. The participants work on different aspects of a space mission design project in an interdisciplinary team.
After completion of this course the participant shall be able to:
· Recognize the need for different types of space missions
· Describe the space environment
· Apply the space mission design process to a use case
· Describe the most common technologies used in spacecraft
· Plan a space mission, including its mission scenario and spacecraft
· Manage working in an interdisciplinary team
We will ask participants to fulfill the following technical requirements:
• Fully functional device (laptop, tablet, PC)
• Stable internet connection
• Software: Zoom (App installed on desktop or over browser. Participants are requested to use their real names as zoom account names.)
• Recommended: external headset for better sound quality
EUR 700: Aug. 10-17: *Reading week* : flexible, 5 hours preparatory work to be done on-demand
Aug. 17-21: Week 1: Live and on-demand course elements
Aug. 24-28: Week 2: Live and on-demand course elements
The fee covers the course, course materials, and a digital cultural program.