15 January 2021
Automated Content Analysis using Pythononline course
This workshop will give an introduction to the valuable programming language, Python, that can be used to apply those strategies within data analysis. Python is an extremely versatile program ranked as one of the top most useful programming languages today. Students can expect to have a clear understanding of Python’s basics, advancing their academic and professional opportunities and engagements.
Felicia Löcherbach is a PhD Candidate within the department of Communication Science. She is studying the diversity of issues and perspectives in (online) news and how it is affected by recommender algorithms and selective exposure.
Master students and PhD candidates who are interested in learning Python, especially for analysing texts with methods of automated content analysis. The course covers the basics of Python programming and gives insights into sentiment analysis, opinion mining, (un-)supervised machine learning, and data extraction through web scraping. This course will especially interest students who desire to fully engage themselves within Python programming opportunities, and who desire to learn how to overcome the challenges presented within organizing data that simply cannot be comprehended using traditional methods. If you have doubts about your eligibility for the course, please contact us: email@example.com.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
• Identify research methods from computer science and computational linguistics which can be used for research in the domain of the social sciences; they can explain the principles of these methods and apply them to the analysis of texts;
• Understanding the basics of the Python programming language and can work within Jupyter Notebooks;
• Implement techniques from commonly used Python modules.
EUR 600: Fees:
- Students and PhD Students: €600
- Professionals: €800
- Students, PhD students and employees at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Amsterdam UMC: €500
Applications received before the 1st of October (Early Bird Discount) receive €50 discount!
The tuition fee includes:
- Application and registration
- Exclusive course content for a limited number of students
- Individual/group guidance from course organiser
- Access to all online VU facilities such as the library and online learning environments
- A certificate of attendance after completing the course
- A transcript of records mentioning the grade and the obtained ECTS
- Full support of the winter school team
- Optional online social activity