15 January 2021
Difficult Settings, Preparing for Fieldworkonline course
In this winter course, the lecturers speak about the difficulties and concerns that they have encountered in their various fields of research. By openly discussing specific issues, students have the liberty to make a choice regarding the different situations. This course brings to light the gap between textbook theory and methods in practice.
Haiyue Shan (Fiona), joined Sociology FSW as a PhD candidate in late 2018. Shan’s current project aims at migrant health, maternity care, postpartum depression, Chinese migrants and ethnic minority’s accessibility to health care. Her previous research exp
The course is intended for the master’s level and PhD students who have knowledge of qualitative research in social science and have interests in interdisciplinary studies, focusing on practical issues that researchers will face in the field. The candidates should be able to design their qualitative research (short proposal in a specific research question). If you have doubts about your eligibility for the course, please contact us: email@example.com.
- To provide you a broader impression and view of fieldwork, especially in difficult environments and situations.
- To understand the complex situation in the field.
- To know how to cope with unexpected problems under difficult conditions.
- To be able to reflect on your positionality, including your interactions with participants and boundaries, as a researcher in the field.
- To enhance the capability of carrying out qualitative research in practice.
20 contact hours
EUR 600: Fees:
- Students and PhD Students: €600
- Professionals: €800
- Students, PhD students and employees at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Amsterdam UMC: €500
Applications received before the 1st of October (Early Bird Discount) receive €50 discount!
The tuition fee includes:
- Application and registration
- Exclusive course content for a limited number of students
- Individual/group guidance from course organiser
- Access to all online VU facilities such as the library and online learning environments
- A certificate of attendance after completing the course
- A transcript of records mentioning the grade and the obtained ECTS
- Full support of the winter school team
- Optional online social activity