15 January 2021
on course website
African Philosophy in Global Times – Knowledge and Cultureonline course
We live in a time of increasing contact between different cultures. The opportunities, as well as the problems this brings are traceable in all academic disciplines, but especially in the social sciences and in the humanities. This course aims to guide you to a deeper reflection on the historical conditions of intercultural encounters, the philosophical conditions of intercultural dialogue, and the framework of post-coloniality that determines the need to politically negotiate the conditions of such a dialogue - all from an African perspective.
Dr Angela Roothaan
PhD and Master’s students in Philosophy, Intercultural Studies, Humanities and Social Sciences interested in African Philosophy, as well as professionals working in relevant fields who have the educational background to be able to follow a philosophy course at this level. If you have doubts about your eligibility for the course, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the end of the course you will:
Have a firm grip on key texts in African philosophy regarding knowledge and culture in our globalizing age.
Have improved your capability to critically read the relevant texts.
Have learned about intercultural dialogue as practiced with your peers and lecturers.
Have written a short essay on your own philosophical question regarding the course matter.
EUR 800: Fees:
- Students and PhD Students: €600
- Professionals: €800
- Students, PhD students and employees at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Amsterdam UMC: €500
Applications received before the 1st of October (Early Bird Discount) receive €50 discount!
The tuition fee includes:
- Application and registration
- Exclusive course content for a limited number of students
- Individual/group guidance from course organiser
- Access to all online VU facilities such as the library and online learning environments
- A certificate of attendance after completing the course
- A transcript of records mentioning the grade and the obtained ECTS
- Full support of the winter school team
- Optional online social activity
noRegister for this course
on course website