25 July 2021
Foundations of Democracy: American Law, Politics & Economy
This Summer School will consist of four courses, covering the legal-political outline of the constitutional system of the United States, American economic thought, U.S. foreign affairs and international relations, and the political-philosophical ideas that paved the ground for the foundation of the American state and nation.
1. American Constitutional Law
Instructor: Prof. Susanna Frederick Fischer
(The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law)
2. Economics of the Free Society: Money and Banking in the USA
Instructor: Dr. Karl-Friedrich Israel
(Institute of Economic Policy, Leipzig University)
3. U.S. Foreign Affairs and International Relations
Instructor: Prof. David Jones (University of Warsaw)
4. American Social and Political Philosophy
Instructor: Luke Bartosik, LL.M.
(AMU, President of CFAS)
5. Special Guest: Patrick Higgins, M.A. (University of Lodz)
1. Susanna Frederick Fischer, Ph.D.
2. Karl-Friedrich Israel, Ph.D.
3. David Jones, Ph.D.
4. Luke Darby Bartosik, LL.M.
We welcome applications from both undergraduate and graduate students as well as alumni of all disciplines.
Even though we expect most of the applications to come from students of law, political science, philosophy, economics, international relations, and sociology, we will welcome your application regardless of your specific educational background as long as you demonstrate your desire to actively engage in each workshop and discussion panels.
We hold a strong preference for candidates who demonstrate the willingness and/or capacity to implement the democratic principles learned during the summer school in their own professional and community work.
We welcome applications from all countries, but we are not responsible for your visa arrangements. We can, however, provide you with a confirmation letter, in case of your acceptance to the program (if you need a visa to come to Poland, please apply by February 1, 2021).
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?
- Fascinating American legal system and key democratic principles
- Ideas that continuously influence American society and politics
- Meanders of the American economy and the American history of exceptional economic development
- Functioning of the United States in the modern world politics and the international arena
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY?
- Our Summer School offers a unique opportunity to expand your knowledge of democratic theory thanks to our broad, interdisciplinary, and Socratic approach.
- Seminar-style workshops led by internationally renowned experts from the United States, Poland, and Germany as well as the open-debate format of each course will create a stimulating learning environment for all participants.
- The workshop format guarantees that the participants will gain practical skills (argumentation, group-work, critical thinking) necessary for professional development and successful community work
The entire summer school (4 courses) translates to approximately 70 contact hours (1 contact hour is 45 minutes). We provide transcripts for participants who express the wish to be given one.
EUR 249: Early-bird fee: 249 euros (if you apply before March 1, 2021)
EUR 299: Regular fee: 299 euros (if you apply before April 1, 2021)
We can provide selected participants with over 30 full or partial CFAS scholarships (in the form of summer school fee refunds given during the Summer School).