7 July 2023
An Introduction to Environmental and Wildlife Crimeonline course
this accredited course introduces environmental crime and wildlife crime and how justice systems deal with and respond to current threats to the environment and non-human nature. The course develops knowledge and skills appropriate to working in the environmental justice sector, with NGOs, local authorities, and policy networks.
This course also prepares students for further study of the topic at postgraduate level.
This course includes:
• An introduction to green criminology
• The causes of environmental crime and criminality
• Climate change
• Criminology and climate justice
• Corporate environmental crime
• Repairing environmental harms.
This course will include live sessions and activities, quizzes, tutor videos and directed discussions.
Dr Angus Nurse - Head of Criminology
The author of the books Animal Harm: Perspectives on Why People Harm and Kill Animals (Ashgate 2013) and Policing Wildlife: Perspectives on the Enforcement of Wildlife Legislation (Palgrave Macmillan 2015).
This course is ideal for undergraduate criminology and law students, and those looking for an introduction to environmental and wildlife crime issues.
After studying on this course, you should be able to:
• Apply the principles of green criminology to contemporary environmental crime problems
• Demonstrate understanding of the importance attached to ideas of environmental harm and environmental crime
• Demonstrate the ability to effectively explain how different justice approaches can be applied to contemporary environmental problems
• Assess the effectiveness of different approaches to addressing environmental crime.
On successfully completing this course you will receive 5 UK cps (2.5 ECTS) recorded on an official NTU results transcript, and a digital skills badge that you can share on social media.
GBP 125: Tuition fee includes our exciting social and cultural programme and the opportunity to earn our Cultural Diversity Digital Badge, and the support of NTU Buddies.