20 January 2023
Strategic Evidence Disclosure when Interviewing Suspects: Translating Scientific Principles into Operational Tacticsonline course
The course is based on the training developed from a close collaboration between a researching scientist and a homicide detective. The two of us teamed up because we inferred a mismatch between science and practice and felt the need to exchange our understandings and align our thinking. Consequently, the course content is not only based on evidence-based knowledge, but is more accurately described as a synthesis of scientific testing and field experience.
Simon Oleszkiewicz, PhD
Target audience are master's students, PhD candidates, and professionals interested in investigative interviewing. Anyone interested or involved in investigative work, such as lawyers, law enforcement officers, military personnel, and security officials.
By the end of this course, students will have:
an understanding of limitations with directly implementing research-based interview techniques in practice
the ability to distinguish three reasons why subjects might not be forthcoming with details in an interview
the ability to develop and assess an effective evidence disclosure plan
the ability to identify risky interview behaviour and to argue against the effectiveness of problematic evidence disclosure tactics
Contact Hours: 20
EUR 850: Students, PhD students and employees of VU Amsterdam, Amsterdam UMC or an Aurora Network Partner: €550*
Students and PhD students: €650*
Applications received before 15 October: -€50 (Early Bird Discount)
The tuition fee includes:
- Application and registration
- Exclusive course content for a limited number of participants
- Individual/group guidance from the course organiser
- Access to all online VU facilities such as the library and online learning environments
- A certificate of attendance after completing the course
- A transcript of records, including the grade and the obtained ECTS
- The full support of the winter school team
- Optional social activities
VU Graduate Winter School offers several scholarships. More information can be found on the website.