9 July 2017
Protection of Human Rights in Europe with emphasis on Refugee Rights
The summer school lasts a duration of 40 hours with a focus on the protection of human rights in Europe:
· International human rights protection mechanisms with an emphasis on refugees (International Covenants and International Conventions), taught by f. Professor P. Naskou Perraki (University of Macedonia, Greece)
· European Convention on Human Rights by Dr. Dagmara Rajska, expert of the Council of Europe, who will discuss the right for fair trial and the right to asylum (Poland),
· Freedom of Expression by Prof. I. Papadopoulos (University of Macedonia),
· Protection of Personal Data by Prof. E. Alexandropoulou (University of Macedonia),
· EU Charter of Fundamental Rights by Prof. L. Papadopoulou (Aristotle University of Macedonia, Greece),
· Prohibition of discrimination by Prof. D. Anagnostopoulou (University of Macedonia, Greece),
· LGBT Rights by Prof. Alina Tryfonidou (Reading University, UK),
· Protection of minorities and cultural rights by Dr. Nikos Gaitenidis, Head of the Observatory on Constitutional Values of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, and
· Workshop on intercultural skills by Prof. I. Papavasileiou (University of Macedonia)
- The right of asylum seekers under the Common Eupopean Asylum system by Dr. Eleni Koutsouraki, Senior Researcher at the European Centre of Research and Training on Human Rights and Humanitarian Action of Panteion University
- The procedural rights of asylum seekers and the EU-Turkey Statement by Dr. C. Baxevanis, Lawyer, Post doc Fellow, University of Macedonia
- Guest lecture (P. Mastakas, United Nations High Commission for Refugees - UNHCR)
Beyond emergency response and transition: The search for durable solutions for refugees
Dr. Despina Anagnostopoulou, Academic Coordinator of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence and Director of the UNESCO Chair on Intercultural Policy for an Active Citizenship and Solidarity at the University of Macedonia.
University Students, lawyers, judges, political scientists, teachers, journalists and professionals dealing with refugees and migrants
a) To enhance knowledge on Human Rights Protection by international conventions and covenants as well by the European Convention of Human Rights and the Charter of Fundamental Rights, focusing on refugee rights,cultural rights and intercultural skills, b) to study in an international environment and c) to combine the summer school with morning trips to Ancient and Byzantine Thessaloniki.
After a multiple choice examination, a certificate for 3 Extracurricular ECTS will be granted
EUR 190: For University Students is 190 euros until May 25, 2017. Registration after May 25 will cost 240 euros. Reduction of 10% on each registration on combined registration of 2 participants and 20% for 3 participants. Social events are paid separately. Special rates at Thessaloniki hotels. Assistance for excursions to Halkidiki and the islands of Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonissos.
EUR 250: For professionals or other participants who are not University students the tuition is 280 euros.
Tuition fees cover
All handouts (sent by email)
Reductions of 10% on tuition is granted for groups of 2 participants
The Summer School will be able to provide two scholarships under the condition that there are at least 20 registrations, and the applicants demonstrate high academic record and proof of economic inability. The scholarship covers only the tuition fee.