17 August 2018
Sexuality in Perspective
This Summer School will provide you with a general introduction to the topic of human sexuality. It will offer you the opportunity to learn about and reflect on contemporary scientific approaches to and current insights in human sexuality.
The programme is based on the premise that the expression and experience of sexuality are influenced and regulated by a combination of biological, psychological, cultural and social processes biological factors as well as cultural and social processes, including inter- and intra-personal norms and values.
Prof. dr. Paul Enzlin
The Summer School is open to master’s students (MA/MS) and PhD students from all disciplines (e.g. psychology, educational sciences, social work, nursing, sociology) who have an interest in learning more about contemporary insights in and approaches to the study of human sexuality. Considering the focus on interactive learning, the number of participants will be limited
After this summer school, you will be able to:
- recognise, understand, and describe the historical and cultural basis of human sexuality;
- distinguish between major theoretical approaches to sexuality, to name and critically discuss their contribution to our understanding of and scientific knowledge about sexuality;
- explain how ‘normal’ and ‘abnormal’ sexuality are social, legal, and culturally sensitive constructs;
- understand and explain the basics of evolutionary and biological perspectives on human sexuality;
- situate sexuality within a lifetime developmental perspective;
- reflect upon and articulate their personal sexual norms, values, and attitudes.
All participants will obtain a certificate. Participants who wish to obtain credits will be given an extra assignment.
EUR 775: The participation fee consists of:
- €675 for the course including course materials provided on a USB-stick
- €100 KU Leuven registration cost (waived for KU Leuven students)
- Wifi and library access
- All lunches and coffee breaks (Monday till Friday)
- Welcome reception & Farewell dinner
- Bus card
The participation fee does neither include travel to and from Leuven nor accommodation costs or additional meals (e.g. breakfast).