14 July 2017
Financial Statements: How to Prepare and How to Analyze
Are you studying business, or planning to study business soon? Clear understanding of basic accounting is very important for you to understand Finance and other related courses. Are you planning to open a business of your own? Then you definitely need to know how to prepare financial statements and how to analyze those statements for decision making.
This course has three objectives: (a) how to prepare financial statements: Income Statement, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow Statement; (b) how to analyze financial statements.
Under (a) we will learn basic accounting principles and book-keeping techniques to prepare financial statements. Under (b) we will analyze the statements to learn how to look at the numbers from owners’, managers’, or creditors’ points of view. We will perform comparative analysis between firms using liquidity, efficiency, profitability, and leverage ratios. We will also learn how to use the DuPont Analytical techniques in analyzing a firm’s financial statement. We will use real world problems/statements.
Who should attend:
• Current and prospective students in business
• Existing and prospective small business/entrepreneurs
• Who studied accounting before but things are not clear yet
We will follow problem based learning (PBL) to make sessions interesting and enjoyable. That means, we will deal with problems and learn by solving those in class or in groups.
After completing the course you should be able to:
1. Record transactions in Journals, transfer transactions in General Ledgers, prepare Trial Balance, and complete Financial Statements
2. Analyze the financial statements to see the company’s strengths and weaknesses.
3. Perform DuPont Analysis to see the situation of a firm from different perspectives
Planned sessions ((this is a 5-day plan but it could be tailored to a 3-day workshop as well):
Day one: Accounting: Principles and Procedures
1. Forms of Business Organization: sole proprietorship, partnership, limited company and corporations
2. Basic Accounting Equation
3. Recording transactions following double entry system
4. Preparing Trial Balance
5. Rigorous practice (individual and groups)
Day two: Preparing Income Statement and Balance Sheet
1. What is and how to record Adjusting Entries
2. Preparing Income Statement
3. Preparing Balance Sheet
4. Rigorous practice (individual and groups)
Day three: Financial Statement Analysis: Basics
1. Preparing Cash Flow Statement
2. Rigorous practice (Group work with practical problems)
3. Mini-test to test progress
4. Review of mini-test questions
Day four: Financial Statement Analysis I
5. Preparation of Common-sized Statement
6. Perform liquidity, profitability, efficiency, leverage ratios
Day five: How Accounting is done in practice using Accounting Software
1. Introduction of DuPont Analysis (Group work with practical problems)
2. Practice, practice, and practice with different real world financial statements.
3. Demonstration: How Accounting is done with an Accounting Software.
4. Course evaluation
For more information please visit official website
Dr. Golam Robbani
International Business and Management Studies
The Hague University of Applied Sciences
Bachelor/Masters students; junior professionals; interns
To learn how to prepare financial statements and to perform analysis on financial statements
EUR 400: This fee does not cover anything but the course fee
No Scholarship but there will be prize-money everyday (for details, please see official website)