14 July 2017
Masterpieces of European Art From Ancient Greek and Roman Art up to the modern era
In this course you will be studying the history of Western art by focussing on its masterpieces: the most significant pieces of art ever made in Europe, from ancient art up to the second world war. These representatives will give you the opportunity to dive deep into the material, while at the same time they will teach you a chronological overview of the development of art through the ages and the reasons for changes.
You will become familiar with scientific discussions conducted in art history and think about the importance of art in history. You will discover that there are many reasons why the most famous works of art became representatives of certain times, styles and disciplines. And not only will we be talking about paintings, also about other forms of art that have played an important role in history, such as architecture, applied arts, prints, drawings and sculptures. The masterpieces will become your leads in art history: by the end of the course you will be able to generally place works you have never seen before into a historical context.
By the end of this course the students will be able to:
- Recognize the development of art from ancient art to modern art and generally place works of art into their historical context
- Identify and apply some of the key concepts in art history
- Understand the cultural history and ideals behind works of art and art movements
- Understand different forms of art and their characteristics: architecture, applied arts, paintings, prints, drawings and sculptures.
- Write and talk about art and art historical discussions in a clear and comprehensible manner
EUR 800: Course