16 July 2020
Health & Migration
Summer School 'Health & Migration' is a project at Ghent University, organised by students in cooperation with the university itself. Each summer, we welcome students from all over the world to the beautiful city of Ghent, Belgium. We organize a 12-day educational program on the topic of 'Health & Migration', along with various social and cultural activities. Our goal is to provide an unforgettable experience by broadening your view on the subject 'Health & Migration' as well as to introduce you to the finest Belgium has to offer. The mix of nationalities of the participants guarantees an interesting multicultural setting, resulting in long-lasting friendships.
Lectures will be given in English by renowned teachers of Ghent University as well as prominent professors of international institutions and organizations. Their area of expertise will be covered in interactive lectures and educational activities.
Next, you can enjoy the mesmerizing green of our parks and have your breath taken away by our monumental cathedrals, churches and medieval dungeons. Discuss the day's lectures to the tunes of local musicians and invigorate body and soul with our peerless variety of beer and excellent Belgian cuisine. Education and pleasure have rarely - if ever - marched this closely in step.
Interested? You can apply by visiting our website and filling out the application form on our applications page. Please bear in mind that places are limited, so apply sooner rather than later and nothing will keep you from enjoying your stay in vibrant Ghent!
• The program targets undergraduate or graduate (medical) students from all over the world, looking to broaden their knowledge and mindset on the subject of ‘Health & Migration’ in an international context.
• This program is not meant to be a continuing educational program to specialize into this field, it’s more a chance to discuss and learn about an insufficiently covered but highly relevant subject within our present society.
• Sufficient knowledge of the English language is required.
• To encourage close collaboration, intercultural discussion and exchange of information with respect to other beliefs and grounds
• To promote an insufficiently covered but highly relevant subject within our present society
• To emphasize the relation between migration and health by clarifying the influence of both migration on health and vice versa
• To emphasize the internationally recognized Universal Declaration of Human Rights
• To provide training in multidisciplinary consideration of health
• To create a social context in which both Belgian and foreign students are offered a chance to discover Belgium and get to know each other in an informal way
Ghent University does not award credits to the participants of the Summer School. However, your own university might do so. Consult with your own institution for more information on this matter. Also, you get a ‘certificate of completion’, which proves you fully attended the Summer School. This certificate is signed by the rector of Ghent University, the dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Prof. dr. Olivier Degomme (ANSER Coordinator & ICRH Director) and the president of the Summer School. It might help you obtain credits from your university.
EUR 490: €490 before February 1st 2020 - Included in the price are: educational and pre-organized social activities, accommodation, meals
EUR 520: €520 after February 1st 2020 - Included in the price are: educational and pre-organized social activities, accommodation, meals