17 August 2018
on course website
Qualitative Methods 2: Analysing Qualitative Data
Qualitative methods are increasingly used in social sciences and humanities. This course is a perfect preparation for conducting qualitative research in your bachelor or master thesis research, or in your PhD research, or as an update of what you might have learned before. The first week will focus on introduction and the collection of qualitative data, with special focus of semi-structured interviews. The second week will focus on methods for analysing qualitative data. It is possible to either follow both weeks, or only week 1, or only week 2.
In social sciences and humanities we study how people act in specific situations. These situations are highly contingent and are interpreted in a subjective way. People also follow their own subjective logic in the way they act in these situations. To investigate these processes, we cannot rely on standardised categorisations, nor on presumed rationalities.
Qualitative methods accordingly try to be open to these subjectivities and contingencies. Qualitative data are often collected by means of open (in depth) interviews, documents, and visual data, and are analysed by means of different interpretative methods. In this intensive course you learn how to conduct, transcribe and analyse interviews, documents and visual data. You will also get to know and practically exercise the basic principles of different methods of data analysis such as 'content analysis', 'grounded theory analysis', 'phenomenological analysis', 'ethnography', 'critical discourse analysis' and 'visual data analysis'.
Finally you will also learn how to present the results of qualitative research. First week will focus on introduction and the collection of qualitative data, with special focus of semi-structured interviews. Second week will focus on methods for analysing qualitative data.
Prof. Dr. Huib Ernste
Advanced Bachelor, Master, PhD. This course is a perfect preparation for conducting qualitative research in your bachelor or master thesis or PhD research, or as an update of what you might have learned before. It also serves as an enhancement to your pre-master programme.
After this course you will:
1. Have an overview of the different qualitative research methods enabling you to make the right methodological choices;
2. Have insight in the scientific and theoretical backgrounds of these methods, assuring the theoretic consistency of your methodological choices;
3. Be able to make an adequate choice of qualitative research techniques for your research.
4. Have basic skills in doing semi-structured interviews;
5. Have a deeper knowledge of the backgrounds and basic principles of the different techniques for the analysis of qualitative data;
6. Be able to critically reflect on the choice and the application of qualitative research techniques;
7. Be able to relate the results of qualitative research to the theory and to present the results of qualitative research in an effective way.
2 ECTS for one week, 4 ECTS for 2 week.
EUR 685: € 685 (one week)
€ 1185 (two weeks)
The fee includes the registration fees, course materials, access to library and IT facilities, coffee/tea, lunch, and a number of social activities.
We offer several reduced fees:
Reduced Fee (one week)
€ 617 early bird discount – deadline 1 April 2018 (10%)
€ 582 partner + RU discount (15%)
€ 514 early bird + partner discount (25%)
Reduced Fee (two weeks
on course website