12 July 2018
Tourism Summer School
Tourism Summer School is a unique opportunity to provide an overview on culinary tourism and heritage in the world-renowned Loire Valley through intensive courses including lectures, workshops and visits. The participants of the summer program will have an exclusive occasion to discover the most significant tourist sites of this beautiful area: The Castles of the Loire Valley (Chambord, Chenonceau and Gardens of the Villandry Castle), the Parc of Puy du Fou and the industrial marine heritage of Nantes.
The world's leading tourist destination, and Loire Valley. The Loire Valley is the third most popular tourist destination in France after Paris and the Riviera. It is known for its wine, impressive castles and gardens.
Live in Angers:
• Ranked N°1 in the best places to live in France
• Discover a relaxed quality of life and excellent restaurants
• Surrounded by the world-famous Anjou vineyards
• Unique heritage: Angers Castle, the Apocalypse Tapestry (the largest medieval tapestry in the world).
• Home of Cointreau distillery
• France's leading city for the Internet of Things (IoT) - Award of label French Tech
• 90 minutes from Paris by the high-speed TGV
Study in ESTHUA:
The School of Tourism and Hospitality Management of the University of Angers: First place for Tourism and Hospitality studies in Europe: 3000 students with 30% of international students.
Study in the Maine-et-Loire Chamber of Commerce and Industry with professional facilities and a professional team (Head Chef, sommelier…) and discover concepts of traditional food products &preparation of a traditional food product as well as sensory dimensions of wine identity related to the terroir.
University of Angers: Mr Jean-René MORICE
Chamber of Commerce in Angers: Mr Sylvain DOURNEAU
• To be registered as a student in Tourism or social sciences
• To have at least an intermediate level of English (the Tourism Summer School will be entirely in English).
• Related experience or diploma in tourism will be appreciated
The Tourism Summer School offers:
• Strong theoretical and practical skills for the future professional of tourism
• Active learning in the 1st most-visited country in the world (more than 80 million international tourists every year)
• An overview on French food and wine
• Discovery of the role of gastronomy in touristic attractiveness
• Opportunity to discover the outstanding nature, culture and architecture of the Pays de la Loire region
• Sharing of views and experiences with fellow students from around the world
Students who successfully complete the Tourism Summer School will received a certificate of attendance with 6 ECTS.
• French Culinary Art & Gastronomy
• The basis of wine tasting
• The French conception of food
• Presentation of local products
• Discovery of a typical French market and creation of a menu
• Creation of a cocktail with local liquors
• The Harmony between food and wine
• The Loire valley wine region
• Heritage of regional cities
• Enhancement of the historical and cultural heritage
• The Architecture of the City
• Heritage and Theme park: Puy du Fou
• Industrial heritage of Nantes
• Several food and wine tasting sessions
• Cooking workshops with a Chef
• Angers Old town
• Nantes (The sixth largest town in France)
• Châteaux of the Loire Valley (Château de Chambord, Château de Chenonceau)
• Puy du Fou (second most popular theme park in France after Disneyland Paris – received the Thea Classic Award 2012, Oscar for best park in the world)
• Cointreau distillery
EUR 1800: Individual cost includes:
• All tuition fees and courses
• 13 nights accommodation in Angers
• 10 lunches (From Monday to Friday) in cafeteria or French restaurants
• 11 days of teaching and outside visits
• 1 dinner in restaurant
• Transport (local transport in Angers and for excursions)
• Field visits (incl. entrance fees and tours)
• Some cultural and social activities
EUR 1300: Group cost : (At least 4 students coming from the same university)