1 July 2019
on course website
Challenges of Global Health
This one-week course aims to enhance the participant's knowledge and understanding of major global health challenges in low- and middle-income countries, with a focus on chronic non-communicable diseases. The topics discussed in this course range from burden of chronic disease and epidemiologic transition, to the effects of environemental changes on health and the approaches to disease prevention .
Which public health challenges do low- and middle-income countries face? What is the importance of chronic non-communicable diseases on public health, and what are their causes, risk factors and epidemiology? What is the intersection between communicable and non-communicable diseases? Which policy initiatives for international prevention and control of disease are being implemented? What are the consequences of global health threats or challenges such as globalisation or environmental change?
These are some of the topics that will be addressed in this one-week Summer School course , with a particular focus on chronic non-communicable diseases, to enhance knowledge and understanding on the current global health challenges.
Dr. Kerstin Klipstein-Grobusch
Postgraduate students and professionals in medicine, public health, social sciences or related disciplines, with knowledge on epidemiology and publich health, and who are interested in global health
This course aims to enhance knowledge and understanding of current challenges in global health with a particular focus on chronic non-communicable diseases. By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the burden of chronic disease
- Describe the epidemiological transition and factors implicated in the epidemiological transition
- Explain the practice of chronic disease surveillance and control
- Explain approaches to chronic disease prevention
- Describe the epidemiology of common chronic diseases, methodological challenges in conducting chronic disease research and factors influencing the interpretation of epidemiologic research for specific chronic diseases.
- Describe the role of early life experiences in the variation in disease occurrence.
- Describe the intersection of communicable disease and non-communicable diseases
- Describe the effect of the environment and environmental changes on health
EUR 750: Course feeRegister for this course
on course website