1 August 2020
Programmng for Beginners
Programming is a true twenty-first century skill, allowing you to really explore the wonderful – and crucial – world of data and computers. Aimed at beginners, this course teaches you the basic principles of programming through hands-on exercises.
During this course you will learn how to solve problems using structured programming. We will use the language Python, but the skills and principles taught in this course are applicable in any programming language. The topics covered are:
- What is a programming language?
- What is an algorithm?
- If statements
- Return types
- Structuring your program
Dr. Atze van der Ploeg, Jasper Veltman
Any student or professional with little or no experience of programming who wants to learn its basic principles.
At the end if this course, you:
- Have gained experience in thinking in an abstract and logical way.
- Are able to structurally solve simple computational problems.
- Understand the basic principles of programming.
- Have acquired some programming ability in Python.
- Have acquired some expertise in writing code and debugging programs.
Contact Hours: 45
Do you want to make the most out of your summer? You can combine this course with a course in session 2 to create a 4-week summer school.
EUR 1150: The tuition fee of a two-week course is €1150. This tuition fee includes:
- Airport pick-up service
- Course excursions
- Orientation programme and welcome
- On-site support and 24/7 emergency assistance
- A transcript of records and certificate of attendance after completing the course
- Meal vouchers to be spent at the university restaurant for either lunch or dinner
- A discounted access to our sport facilities
VU Amsterdam Summer School offers three kinds of scholarships: the Academic Scholarship, the Photographer Scholarship and the Vlogger/Videographer Scholarship. More information can be found on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.