28 July 2023
Writing in the Style of Jane Austen
Whether you are an enthusiastic newcomer to her timeless written work, or an ardent 'Janeite', this short course offers an unique opportunity to add your own imagination to the fascinating enigma of Jane Austen and the charm of her very ‘English’ novels. You’ll learn about her history, explore her much-loved characters, and delve into Georgian society and fashion.
This course is about understanding Jane Austen’s literary classics but also includes a creative writing element as you will use this new knowledge to write in Jane Austen’s style.
During the course you will:
• Read and analyse a selection of Jane’s work and take on the point of view of one of her characters to produce your own written piece in her style to share with the group
• Learn new literary skills
• Produce, format, and present a piece of written work for an audience.
• Visit Chawton House or Bath – two of the places that Jane Austen lived and where she wrote her most famous novels.
The very ‘English’ style of Jane Austen’s work and the Georgian period are timeless. Her novels have gained significant popularity throughout the years and continue to do so.
This course is ideal for university-level students with a passion for English Literature and the work of Jane Austen. You will need good English language skills, particularly in reading and writing.
After studying on this course you should be able to:
• Describe the historical setting in which Jane Austen wrote
• Explain the genre, literary devices and format that Jane Austen created
• Format a script or novel
• Write a short piece in the style of Jane Austen
• Use literary devices to improve your creative writing skills.
Teaching methods: lectures, presentations, quizzes, workshops, and research trips.
Assessment: verbal and written presentation of your project work.
10 UK Credit / 5 ECTS. You will receive a certificate and an official NTU transcript of results with your credits recorded.
GBP 1200: £1080 Early-bird discount if paid by 30 April 2023.
This tuition fee includes course materials, our exciting social and cultural programme, support from our friendly team of student buddies, use of our GSS Hub with free drinks, and a trip to the beautiful city of York.
GBP : You will stay in on-campus accommodation offering single en-suite rooms on a self-catering basis with shared kitchen and living spaces, kitchen and bedding packs and 24-hour security/reception cover. The fee will be confirmed very soon.
An early-bird discount if tuition fee payment is received by 30 April 2023. A further discount is offered to groups of 10+ students travelling from the same University.