13 January 2023
Hinduism and Spiritual Ecologyonline course
The course focuses on gaining conceptual knowledge relevant to reflecting upon contemporary environmental issues from the lens of the Hindu Worldview. Further, the course engages with spiritual ecology which has the potential to address contemporary environmental issues holistically for a flourishing economy.
Spiritual practices can give insight and future directions for solutions both at an individual level and at a leadership and corporation level oriented towards a Green Economy. Several multinational companies and companies globally seem to be open to spiritual practices. The course will familiarize the participant with Hindu views on spiritual engagement with nature or spiritual ecology to nurture the thinking towards potential application to sustainability and a Green Economy.
Prof. Sharda Nandram is a full professor of Hindu Spirituality and Society at the Faculty of Religion and Theology of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. In addition she is a full Professor of Business & Spirituality at Nyenrode Business Universiteit.
Academicians, scholars, and practitioners with an interest in sustainability, regenerative, Green Economy, and UN- SDGs.
If you have doubts about your eligibility for the course, please contact the VU Graduate Winter School team.
- The course aims to help students achieve the following learning goals:
- Promote an analytical understanding of the Hindu worldview.
- Practice comparing ideas about reality and life in the Western context through informed judgments and conceptualization through the Hindu worldview.
- Develop academic skills, intellectual courage, and the academic self-confidence needed to appreciate the Hindu way of life.
- Learn to deal intellectually with Hindu knowledge systems efficiently and effectively in a busy professional context.
- Learn to look for Hindu wisdom in sustainability and green practices.
- Apply the gained knowledge and insights to trace personal, intellectual and spiritual development. Also the ability to adopt moral leadership (coexisting with nature).
- The participant should be able to communicate the newly acquired knowledge, insights, and applications through academic writing and presentations.
EUR 800: -Students, PhD students and employees of VU Amsterdam: €500
-Students and PhD students: €600
Applications received before 15 October €50 receive Early Bird Discount
We offer an Equal Access Scholarship. Deadline to apply 14 November