25 August 2023
Critical Sociological Theories of Knowledge, Education and Social Pathology
This module presents critical sociological theories as a foundation for the analysis of knowledge, education and modernity. It focusses on ideologies within school and education, and their relation to social pathologies, such as radicalization, nationalism, and exclusion, as well as to current, critical debates on identity politics.
The following types of questions are raised:
- how can we explain the social pathologies of modern society?
- can knowledge and education counteract social pathologies?
- how do we distinguish between knowledge and ideology?
- how do we understand today's controversial issues of gender, ethnicity and identity from a sociological perspective?
- what is the connection between (technical) progress, knowledge and science and (political) discomfort, alienation and dehumanization?
EUR 830: EU/EEA citizens
EUR 1373: NON-EU/EEA citizens
No scholarships available