23 June 2023
Coming to Your Senses: Sensory Learning Beyond the Classroom
What do all researchers and professionals have in common? They are expert observers. Their work involves attuning and developing their skills of observation and sharpening their senses. In this summer school course, you will be expanding your understanding of your senses in learning and practice, developing core skills that are central to successful study and professional practice and yet which are often taken for granted and not given sufficient attention. We will expand your awareness and understanding of the role of your senses and develop your sensory toolbox. We will work beyond the classroom, focusing on contextual and authentic learning.
Over the course of two weeks, you will explore 4 core topics. First, you will focus on understanding how your senses function. We will train your senses and teach you to use tools such as a sensory diary or a sensory map to keep track of your body and bring awareness to the role senses play in your everyday life. You will then focus on understanding how your senses work in society and how the perception of the senses has changed over time. You will read about various historical and geographical practices and work on observation in various social contexts. You will then work on understanding how your senses work in your learning process. You will do experiments such as sensory associations/memorisation and vocabulary development (also known as the ‘cookie experiment’) to develop strategies of learning by using your senses. Finally, you will explore the place of your senses in your chosen career path. You will meet and do field experiments with professionals and apply what you have learnt to the career path of your choosing.
- Learning techniques to train your senses
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of how the senses work in your body, in various social environments and in your learning processes
- Familiarise yourself with sensory data collection methods
- Improve communication around the senses
- Analyse sensory data using various disciplinary protocols
- Understand the transferability of sensory skills across domains
- Demonstrate knowledge in the use of the senses in your specific area of specialisation
EUR 599: Tuition fee.
No scholarships are available for this course.