7 June 2024
Managing Cyber Risk in Organization
How can businesses protect themselves from becoming victims of cyber crime and data breaches? Is biometrics a better choice for identity proofing? Information Security has become a fundamental necessity for businesses regardless of size and industry. This course reviews common exploits that have cost organizations millions of dollars in damages and methods for assessing the risk of cyber threats. Data privacy laws differ by country, impacting international business transactions. The growing use of biometrics, fraud prevention mechanisms, data breaches, and how technology has been leveraged to perform crimes will be evaluated in addition to risk assessment and prevention methods for protecting corporate, governmental, and individual assets.
Laura F. Poe, Ph.D. Assistant Professor of Information Systems and Cyber Security, Longwood University,
bachelor/master's degree students. youg professionals welcome.
• Develop a basic understanding of cyber threats, vulnerabilities, and exploits
• Understand how social engineering is leveraged by hackers
• Evaluate information security risk management methodologies and policies
• Calculate cyber risk and evaluate against cost of prevention mechanisms
• Evaluate impact of differing data privacy laws
• Explore how the lack of physical security controls create cyber security risks
• Examine various biometrics and identity proofing methods, such as facial recognition, hand-vein
analysis, fingerprints, etc.
• Explore popular project methodologies and their gaps in cyber security processes
• Understand the global commerce impact of varying national data privacy laws in western
• Review commonly used fraud-prevention techniques
• Review information security gaps in project management methodologies
• Understand how businesses recover from an attack
4 ECTS / 2 US credits
EUR 600: Tuition fee: 700€ for free movers. 100€ discount on tuition fee if you complete your application before March 15, 2024.
No tuition fees for students nominated by a partner university.
EUR 100: Admin fees: 100€ for all students (non refundable)