20 August 2023
"The Stone and the River" Landscape Archaeology Project
Fancy an archaeological campaign in Tuscany?
• We provide an exciting opportunity for a first-hand experience in a landscape archaeology study, on a region which historical monuments spans from prehistory to Middle Ages.
• You’ll take part in the archaeological survey, working alongside expert archaeologists and foreign fellow students.
• You’ll learn the latest digital technologies in architectural survey, simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM), photogrammetry, and 3d rendering, right on the field.
• This program is offered in collaboration with the Cultural Heritage Office of Tuscany, the regional authority that manages archaeological sites and monuments.
• In addition to the archaeological experience, you will be able to enjoy a wide range of cultural sites, historic monuments, and natural sites of Tuscany.
After 10 years of study of “la Biagiola” multi-layered site, we are ready to analyze its context, and the traces of settlement preserved in the tufolandscape and their relationship with the river Fiora.
Students will experience all aspects of a complex archaeological survey study, and all the technologies that can help the researcher with it.
Moreover, coursework will explore and focus on the major features of ancient Etruscan, Roman and Early-Medieval cultures.
The aims of the 2023 Campaign are to:
• complete the archaeological survey of the middle Fiora valley;
• census and survey of necropolis, castles, road traces, hamlets, and rock shelters;
• digital rendering of the most important sites.
Dr. Luca Mario Nejrotti, Membre Associé at LA3M – Université d’Aix-Marseille – CNRS, Associazione "Cultura e Territorio"
The 2023 Campaign is open to both undergraduate and graduate students of archaeology, history, geography, and germane disciplines.
To learn the landscape archaeology approaches in a multilayered, complex region. Moreover, the Course will give the students the chance to learn on-field the new technologies that can help the research
In order to enable students to gain credits from their University,a signed certificate will be issued,testifying all the activities of the Summer School in details.
EUR 900: Cost of the 1 week first session (May 14-21). Educational, transports, food and board included.
EUR 2800: Cost for the 4 weeks session (July 24-August 20). Educational, transports, food and board included.
No scholarships are provided
Special rates will be applied to students from affiliated universities.
AIA Member will get a €100 reduction
Participant bringing 3 or more paying appliers: €1400.