28 July 2023
Redefining Practices: Organ and Vocal Music in Educational and Community Settingsblended course
The Summer School (TS) VocalOrganMusEdu2023 entitled: "Redefining Practices: Organ and Vocal Music in Educational and Community Settings" has been designed so that the participants will immerse themselves, on the one hand, in the principles of didactic vocal education in children's choral formations and young people in the school environment or the community, focusing on the peculiarities of the child and adolescent voice and presenting teaching strategies for children and young people with and without special vocal knowledge. It is addressed to directors of school and extracurricular children's and youth choirs in order to effectively organize their artistic activity through the selection of appropriate choral repertoire and the application of vocal exercises that cultivate children's and adolescents' voices. On the other hand, it focuses on the theoretical and laboratory learning process of the conductor's technique and kinesiology as well as the basic principles of the stylistic direction of orchestral musical ensembles, with specific reference examples depending on the era, style and texture of the proposed work on the part of the teachers, to be edited and directed by participants. Particular emphasis is placed on study techniques, physical synesthesia and contact with the musical ensembles, but also with the audience, as the taking of artistic initiatives by the participants themselves is encouraged. In special teaching units, an approach to the music-pedagogical work of Zoltán Kodály is attempted, focusing on the special features of the system and the pedagogical philosophy for directing vocal ensembles. Extensive reference is made to the Hungarian Choral Movement, the place of folk song in it and its function as a means of developing national identity. Selected examples of Zoltán Kodály's choral work are offered, which will be analyzed musicologically. Pieces of the Greek Choral repertoire are also analyzed, with an emphasis on the vocal preparation of the participants. The program offers the possibility of preparing and conducting instrumental ensembles for preschool and primary school children, which are accompanied by similar educational material. The suggestions focus on strategies related to developing effective technique for safely managing and directing works written specifically for young children with Orff instruments. The Summer School offers the opportunity to participate in a Master Class on Chamber Music, its study and direction, immersing oneself in new methodologies with an international perspective for music education, but also the preparation of a concert on behalf of the participants with their participation in the cello workshops, double bass and chamber music with soloists of international scope. The Summer School aims, through theoretical-pedagogical approaches, to project management (for vocal or instrumental ensemble) that will be applied in a final artistic project.
Participants will be able to:
• acquire the skill to plan, instruct, and pedagogically direct the choir with children and young people after completing the Summer School.
• develop your kinesiology (musical directing) skills for vocal ensembles.
• become more accustomed to a variety of choral repertoire for equal and mixed voices.
• acquire the necessary musical knowledge to form a singing group and stage a choral music concert.
• demonstrate articulation, dynamics, and hand independence, and lead all beats;
• assemble, organise, and impart a repertoire appropriate for their individual orchestra.
• select and arrange the orchestra's repertoire;
• be presented after thorough research and instruction to improve relationships with other musicians
• handle interpersonal interactions with musicians and all production personnel;
• lead a chamber music group;
• supervise an efficient rehearsal of an orchestra or vocal ensemble.
• be familiar with Zoltán Kodály's most significant works and the underlying principles of the Kodály Music Pedagogy System.
• Feel more at ease with Orff instruments in settings that encourage creativity.
• arrange content tailored to a certain age group. The daily ensemble practise that this summer school offers ensures that the participants can direct both vocal and instrumental ensembles in a pure practise atmosphere. Due to this, a performance featuring a presentation of the works taught by the participants will be held as part of the Summer School and is available to the public.
EUR 480: Tuition before May 30, 2023
EUR 550: Tuition beginning June 1, 2023
Special price for students: 150 euros