21 August 2024
NCD Prevention and Control in a Global Health Perspective
The course addresses public health strategies to prevent and control NCDs, and changes needed in the healthcare system, with regard to the most cost-effective, affordable and scalable interventions (“best buys”) and health service strengthening approaches. The respective contributions of multi-sectoral public health interventions versus changes needed in terms of health care delivery are identified and discussed. The focus is on examining, exposing and contrasting the respective contributions, and complementarities between public health interventions targeting the whole population (relying largely on actions in non-health actors) and measures to strengthen the health system and services (involving mainly health care actors and integrated care delivery) toward improved NCD prevention and control.
Prof. Kaspar Wyss & Prof. Pascal Bovet
By the end of the course participants will:
- Know effective, efficient, equitable and sustainable approaches for NCD prevention and control, with a focus on middle-and low-income countries (but not limited to them);
- Be aware of major cost-effective and affordable public health interventions for the prevention and control of NCDs and be able to relate them with multiple sectors and stakeholders;
- Be aware of the critical elements that need to be addressed to strengthen health care services for improved prevention and control of NCDs;
- Be able to formulate the rationale, components, benefits, and resources needed for implementing, respectively, the “public health” approach and the “health services” approach for the prevention and control of NCDs.
In order to get the Certificate of completion and the 1 ECTS participants MUST:
- Attend at least 80%of the course;
- Attend the plenary(s) offered during the days of the course;
- Participate in introductory lectures;
- Actively participate in group work;
- Elaborate and present a case study on NCD control.
CHF 1000: Early Bird price available until May 1st
CHF 1200: Normal price after May 1st
Discounts are available for PhD and Master students and participants from LMICs. Some scholarships are available especially for participants from LMICs.