8 July 2017
London Theatre Studies
This module provides an introduction to the institutions and trends of London’s contemporary theatre. Diverse performance types and genres in different kinds of venues/institutions are examined, with a focus on reviewing theatre productions from an informed perspective. Visits to the theatre, tours of relevant sites, review sessions, workshops and talks with theatre practitioners outline the processes of producing and staging theatre, with particular reference to current productions in London.
Students with an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher
Minimum age: 18
The module is designed to:
• introduce London’s diverse theatre institutions from an artistic and organisational/financial viewpoint;
• introduce types of productions, performances, genres and trends current to London’s theatre scene;
• introduce students to London’s musical theatre including its historical background and contemporary productions and styles
• provide a current as well as historical context for the above;
• provide theoretical tools in evaluating, reviewing and discussing theatre performances;
• provide opportunities for dialogue with relevant theatre practitioners in diverse fields and institutions;
• provide a closer look at theatre institutions and their functions through visits and tours;
• discuss processes of staging, including the transition from dramatic text to performance;
• develop skills in articulating orally and in writing views on theatre performances and aspects of London theatre;
• provide guidance to allow students to develop independent skills in research.
Each Summer School module is worth 20 UK credits (10 ECTS). Official Transcripts are provided at the end of the course.
GBP 1515: Tuition Fee per session
GBP 0: At the time of application, students have the opportunity to select from accommodation at two of the University of Westminster's centrally located Halls of Residence, as well as joining a comprehensive Social Programme including evening events in London, and weekend trips throughout the UK.
Prices vary and are available in full detail on our website.