27 October 2020
Surveying the Roman Mediterranean Ports. Underwater Archaeology in Portus Iulius (Naples – Italy) and Sanisera Port (Menorca – Spain)
The Sanisera Archaeology Institute for International Field Schools offers annual programs in archaeology. This course is designed for students from around the world interested in studying abroad, gaining knowledge in Roman cities, classical archaeology and underwater archaeology.
This underwater archaeology course consists of two main parts:
During the first part of the course students will participate in an underwater archaeology survey. Immersions will focus on an underwater archaeological survey, exploring the Ancient Port of Sanitja and the coast of the Cape of Cavalleria. The aim of this project is to identify structures of the Roman city of Sanisera and underwater shipwrecks, as well as the associated cargo including amphoras and anchors.
The second part of the course consists of studying the submerged archaeological remains of Portus Iulius of the Baia Underwater Park. In order to do this, participants will travel to Naples Bay, Italy.
If you are interested in gaining experience, practicing diving and learning the techniques and methodology used for surveying in different seabed, identifying the most diverse archaeological materials that can be discovered in underwater Roman archeology, this course is the best option for you.
After finishing this course, the training and experience gained will help you to decide if underwater archaeology is the area of research that you wish to focus on or if you want to continue on with underwater archaeology as a future profession. You will have also visited the most iconic and remarkable Roman underwater archaeological sites in the Mediterranean.
USD 2700: Course fee includes
• Course tuition.
• A complete set of diving equipment: wetsuit, jacket, mask, fins, diving booties, tanks and weights in Menorca.
• Daily transportation to/from the research site.
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
• Accident insurance at the site.
• Included excursion.
• Flight to Menorca – Naples / Naples – Menorca (students can only take a cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm).
• Accommodation in Hotel Arco Felice (Naples Bay).
• Archaeological immersions at Baia Underwater Park
• Transportation from the Hotel Arco Felice to the diving centre at Baia Underwater Park.
• In case of needing to process Schengen Visa the mandatory letter of invitation will be written so you can travel and participate in our courses.
• Certificate of participation
Airfare not included from the student home to/from Menorca.
Open Water Diving certificate (PADI) not included in the course fee. You can get the certificate with our Diving Center collaborator for only $400. (contact us for further information at firstname.lastname@example.org )
During the days in Naples meals are not included (only 6 days of the 16 days course, although we will recommend cafés and restaurants that do not exceed the average of 20€/day in meals).
Entry tickets to museums and historical buildings are not included.