30 August 2018
Sustainable Construction – from Traditions to Innovations
Within the summer school You will attend lectures of scientists in the fields of civil engineering, architecture and physics. Seminars will cover topics like preparation of scientific publications and practical implementation of sustainable construction principles. You will visit several enterprises and construction projects, for example, National Library of Latvia, ongoing projects in Riga Technical University (RTU) Campus and industrial enterprises like “Knauf”, which is one of the world's leading manufacturers of lightweight building products and systems, and Latvian Wood Construction Cluster.
Official course website: http://www.rtu.lv/en/sustainability
In addition, interdisciplinary teams will be formed to work with projects. Informal discussions will be held about the modern issues of formation in the field of sustainable construction, civil engineering and physics. The summer school is aimed to provide new generation of participants with the ability to develop interdisciplinary thinking.
In 2018, Latvia celebrates a hundred years since it became an independent state. Within festivities You will explore and enjoy Latvian culture and lifestyle – from traditions to innovations.
Sustainable construction principles
- Sustainable architecture
- Sustainability in seismic-resistant constructions
- Sustainable solutions of engineering communications
Building materials for sustainable construction
- Materials acoustic performance
- Innovative materials from radioactive products
Practical implementation of sustainable construction principles
- Sustainability concept in historical buildings
- Ongoing sustainable projects in RTU Campus
- Sustainable solutions in Nacional Library of Latvia
- Sustainable construction principles of «Knauf»
- Sustainable solutions in Latvian Wood Construction Cluster
- Preparation of scientific publications
Faculty of Civil Engineering of Riga Technical University (Latvia) in cooperation with the Department of Civil Engineering and the Department of Information and Electric Engineering and Applied Mathemathics of the University of Salerno (Italy), and enterp
- Undergraduate student (finished at least one year of studies by the time the summer school starts)
- Postgraduate student
You are familiar with
- Mathematical calculus
- General physics
- Basics of building materials and structures
- Speak fluent English
- Appreciate the experience of learning from and working with qualified professionals
- You are a creative person
- Looking for added value content
The aims of the summer school:
1. To deepen the knowledge’s of students (university level – bachelor and master), as well as researchers in the fields of sustainable construction by means of regular lectures and educational sessions. Students have to be educated in sustainable design principles, materials, structures and building physics;
2. To teach students how to use certain mathematical methods and computing tools for the analysis of various processes of sustainable construction;
3. To help a participants gain skills in research methodology of sustainable construction;
4. To carry out experiments in research laboratories and in field on the basis of an interdisciplinary approaches in order to reinforce the cooperation;
5. To improve skills of making scientific publications;
6. To promote social and professional networking during the lectures and social events;
7. To introduce Latvia, its history and culture (in 2018, Latvia celebrates a 100 years since it became an independent state).
Certificates of Further Education of Riga Technical University and 3 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credit points will be awarded upon completion of the program.
EUR 700: The participation fee covering registration, tuition, accommodation in the student hostel of RTU, meals (breakfast and lunch) and the social program is EUR 700. The participants will have to cover their travel expenses and health insurance.
Based on the evaluation of the application documents, participant with the most outstanding results will receive a discount for covering participation fee.