28 July 2018
German Engineering and Language
The four-week International Summer School Programme consists of three components:
1. Engineering Courses and Workshops
These courses are designed to introduce German Engineering through the use of workshops and group projects surrounding themes of: Automotive Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Mechatronic and Production Technology.
1.1 Excursions to German companies (such as)
- Mercedes-Benz – German automobile manufacturer
- Continental AG – German automotive manufacturing company
- EUMETSAT (European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites)
- Donges Steeltec – Steel construction company
2. Intensive German Language Courses
This course is designed to teach the basics of German speaking, writing and listening skills, as well as to introduce vocabulary based on the topics covered. Topics are supplemented by texts and accompanied by various controlled speaking and writing exercises, as well as a number of open discussions. This course serves as a first introduction to the German language.
The Intensive German Language Course takes place during the morning sessions.
3. Intercultural Competence Training: Studying and Working in Germany
This seminar will train non-German people who live, study and work in Germany, especially in the Rhine-Main area, in intercultural competence skills. In addition to factual background information, this course will introduce students to practical techniques, skills and knowledge to help them successfully arrange themselves within an intercultural working and learning environment in Germany.
3.1 Social Programme
Students will be able to experience different parts of the Darmstadt area as well as the Rhein-Main area of Germany by attending specially made programmes organised by our staff. This may also include evening activities and weekend leisure excursions.
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Academic Director: Prof. Cameron Tropea
Department International Affairs
Coordinator: Christoph Göbel
The applicant must:
- be currently enrolled and remain enrolled throughout the programme in an undergraduate programme at a university
- have a profound interest in engineering topics
- Language: The programme language is taught in English. German language skills are not necessary for acceptance.
(Communication throughout the programme is also in English.)
The main objective of the Summer School is to introduce students to German Engineering and to enable them to gain experiences in diverse research fields of engineering.
Students can earn 8 ECTS worth of academic credit for the entire summer school programme. To make sure the credits will be accepted we kindly advise you to get in touch with your home University faculty in advance.
- Engineering courses and workshops -> 50 Hours/ 4 Weeks -> 2 ECTS*
- Intensive German language course -> 100 Hours/ 4 Weeks -> 4ECTS*
- Intercultural competence training -> 50 Hours/ 4 Weeks -> 2 ECTS*
1 ECTS = approx. 25-30 hours of academic work
EUR 0: It is possible to obtain a discount for nominated students from our partner universities ONLY. Please contact us directly for inquiry. However, travelling and living expenses will need to be covered by the participants.
The above total fee covers:
- language courses, course materials, workshops, engineering courses, intercultural practice, company visits, social activities and excursions
- public transportation ticket, insurances and student services
- accommodation (excl. breakfast): two-person room, kitchenette
You will need a sizable amount of money for your living expenses. Make sure you have enough money available (e.g. you will spend about min. €5-10 for each meal outside). Please note that meals are not included in the program fee.
It is possible to obtain a discount for nominated students from our partner universities ONLY. Please contact us directly for inquiry.