16 July 2022
Introduction to Business and International Management
A basic understanding of business concepts is useful for people pursuing any type of career. Learning the foundations about the most important aspects of business such as how are businesses organised, how to work in teams, how to market a product, how to lead, or how to judge the financial situation of a business will provide you with a toolbox to better understand the world in which you will work.
The course will expose students to the most important business knowledge. Regardless of a student’s background or career ambitions, an understanding of business concepts can help you get the job you want and provide you with a toolbox to help you advance faster.
This interactive course teaches students the basics of business through simulations, games, movies, and in-class team assignments. The course will address the following topics:
• Understanding the Business Environment
• Starting and Structuring a Business
• Business Management and Organisation
• Motivation, Leadership, and Teamwork
• Human Resource Management
• Principles of Marketing (branding, pricing, promotion)
• Principles of Finance (Financing and Accounting for Business Operations)
Dr Oli Mihalache
Bachelor’s students from all educational disciplines and all years of study and Master’s students who are interested in learning the basics of business are invited to join this course. Professionals are also welcome.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- discuss the differences and relationships between different areas of a business
- solve practical business problems (e.g. how to organize a business, lead employees, market a product, assess the financial health of a business);
- present solutions to practical problems verbally and in writing for various audiences
Contact Hours: 45
Do you want to make the most out of your summer? You can combine this course with a course in session 2 to create a 4-week Online Summer School.
EUR 950: Tuition fees two-week course:
VU Students/PhD candidates and employees of VU Amsterdam* or an Aurora Network Partner €650
Students at Partner Universities of VU Amsterdam €900
Students and PhD candidates at non-partner universities of VU Amsterdam €950*
Early Bird offer
Applications received before 15 March (CET 23:59) receive €50 Early Bird discount!
VU Amsterdam Summer School offers two kinds of scholarships: the Academic Scholarship and the Photographer Scholarship. More information can be found on the VU Amsterdam Summer School website.