10 July 2022
Understanding Research Methodsonline course
Understanding Research Methods is a unique offering to the summer school environment. The online course is designed for a wide-ranging number of participants whether preparing for or undertaking a PhD, completing an undergraduate or Master’s dissertation, or as part of a professional task. It will outline the fundamentals of doing research for students from across the world. Students will collectively develop their understanding of research methods, confidence in designing a research project and executing appropriate methods, and assessing its intellectual rigour.
Students will be exposed to a number of innovative thinkers in the London educational community and we’ll take advantage of local facilities such as the British Library, the British Museum, the Welcome Trust and Crick Institute.
No prior knowledge or experience in research methods is required to take this course, but the course will be particularly relevant for those who have to conduct research as part of their higher education studies but do not perhaps have access to research methods courses, or for those who feel like they would like additional support for self-improvement.
Dr. Simon Rofe
A university student or a graduate at the time of attending the summer school, and 18+ years of age. Professional experience can be acknowledged as equivalent to a university qualification.
On successful completion of the course, a student should be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- Their understanding that different methods and approaches to research reflect a range of intellectual traditions and societal interests
- The ability to assess which methods are suitable for their enquiries
- The ability to design a research project
- The ability to critically engage with discussions surrounding the quality and integrity of research
- Their readiness to tackle further, advanced, consideration of approaches to research
Courses are worth 15 SOAS credits, which is equivalent to 4 credits in the US system and 7.5 ECTS in the European system. If you intend to transfer credit to your home institution, please check the requirements with them before you apply. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can, however please be aware that the decision to transfer credit rests with your home institution.
GBP 1200: - Save £200 if you apply by 30th April
- 10% discount if you apply for two courses over 6 weeks
- 15% discount for SOAS alumni (including Academic Summer School alumni)
- 20% discount for our partner institutions
Other discounts are available for groups, please contact us for further information.
The SOAS Academic Summer School is delighted to offer six tuition-fee waiver scholarships to passionate students with a desire to make a difference in the world.
Deadline: 13th March 2020