1 July 2019
WeTell Summer School
WeTell Summer School is about innovating storytelling to address civic awareness in the post-digital age.
Do you believe your ideas have potential but you don’t know how to communicate them and capitalize on them?
Would you like to discover the potentialities of storytelling as an empowering tool?
Do you think you could bring a contribution to the community with your passions, your dreams and your visions?
WeTell Summer School focuses on the art and practice of performative storytelling. Its aim is to promote civic awareness among European and International students living in a hyper-technological but unequal environment.
Elena Lamberti, https://site.unibo.it/wetell-school/en/people/directors
Priority is given to students in their SECOND CYCLE of study as well as to students in their THIRD CYCLE (PhD, Second Level Master). However, depending on availability and motivational statement, WeTell Summer School accepts students in their FIRST CYCLE of study.
We can welcome only
A LIMITED NUMBER OF STUDENTS (MAX. 20) BASED ON THEIR MOTIVATIONAL STATEMENT.
IMPORTANT: The school is open to students coming from all the Universities partners of the Utrecht Network, and from its partner networks in USA (MAUI) and Australia (AEN). External students are welcome pendibing availability. If your university is not part of the Utrecht Network but you are interested in WeTell Summer School, please contact us for information. https://site.unibo.it/wetell-school/en/students
The media environment is not a neutral environment, nor is it equally accessible.
Media as environment shape our views, our opinions and us.
At WeTell Summer School you will investigate the newly born idea of “post-digital era”, as well as its various media.
You will re-discover and re-evaluate traditional technologies in relation to the new digital ones because new media do not replace old media: they complicate each other.
At WeTell Summer School we explore theories and practices of performative storytelling to funnel thoughts, ideas and experiences.
We navigate A VARIETY OF THEMES AND QUESTIONS including:
IS THE MEDIUM THE MESSAGE? ORAL, WRITTEN, AND DIGITAL TOOLS.
MEDIA AS ENVIRONMENTS: ARE FRIENDLY TECHNOLOGIES TRULY FRIENDLY?
NARCISSUS NARCOSIS: ARE YOU A CONSCIOUS CITIZEN?
FORM OF COMMUNICATION/FORM OF SOCIETIES: LOCAL, GLOBAL, GLOCAL.
WE ALL TELL STORIES: DO YOU UNDERSTAND MINE?
EXPERIENCING INTERCULTURAL AND INTER-GENERATIONAL PRACTICES OF TELLING.
HOW TO APPLY PERFORMATIVE STORYTELLING TO SOCIAL TROUBLESHOOTING/PROBLEM-SOLVING
TECHNOLOGICAL DIVIDE & MULTICULTURAL SOCIETIES
WETELL SUMMER SCHOOL RUNS FOR TWO WEEKS AND RELEASES 6 CFU-ECTS.
- Become aware of the potentialities of storytelling as an EMPOWERING TOOL
- Learn to listen to and engage with OTHER PEOPLE’S VALUES AND BELIEFS
- Discuss strategies to properly convey and channel YOUR ORIGINAL IDEAS
- Discuss strategies to DETECT POISONOUS STORYTELLING (e.g. stereotypes, fake news, etc.)
- Question yourself as a CONSCIOUS AND ACTIVE citizen
In addition, you will
- Acquire a sound knowledge of the STRUCTURES AND RULES OF STORYTELLING, both through TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL MEDIA
- Understand how different FORMS OF COMMUNICATION can AFFECT the ACT OF TELLING and the CONTENTS conveyed
- Learn to perform a SUCCESSFUL AND SUSTAINABLE STORYTELLING through traditional and digital media
- Learn to tell “good” and “bad” storytelling apart
- Learn to deal with social, technological and cultural complexity WITHOUT FEARING IT
- Learn to detect and OVERCOME DEMAGOGICAL AND POPULIST OVERSIMPLICATIONS
- Learn to create your own storytelling, based on your own values and beliefs in dialogue with those of the broader community
WeTell Summer School on Performative Storytelling facilitates the acquisition of knowledge and skills that are more and more required by a variety of professions including:
- Healthcare and social services
- Higher Education/Education
- Marketing and Communication
- Media and advertising
- General Management
- Management of Human Resources
- Public Institutions, NGO, think tanks
- Politics, diplomacy, sustainable policy-making
- Crisis and conflict management
- International and supranational organizations
EUR 800: COSTS & FUNDING
Thanks to the support of the UTRECHT NETWORK, students can enroll at a particularly accessible fee of 800 Euros, covering all course costs, tuitions, accommodation (in double room) and board for the entire period of the Summer School (2 weeks at the University of Bologna, Italy).
Fee for students who do not need accommodations and meals is 500 Euros.
Travel arrangements have to be made and paid for individually.