26 July 2019
Revolutions in Biomedicine
This four-week summer school gives a unique insight into biomedicine in the immersive research environment of Imperial College London's world-renowned Faculty of Medicine.
Innovative revolutions are changing the face of biomedicine from genes to populations. Through interactive sessions, a mini-research laboratory project and keynote lectures you will explore cutting-edge research, technology, and the future of biomedicine.
Revolutionise your summer.
Dr Jeffrey Vernon
Open to undergraduates, postgraduates and recent graduates whose degree contains at least one bioscience component.
From engaging with the summer school sessions students will be able to:
1) Identify past and current paradigm shifts, discoveries and advancements that constitute revolutions in biomedicine across areas of research focus in the Faculty of Medicine.
2) Summarise the historical context, key concepts and facts underpinning these, and demonstrate awareness of possible future revolutions arising from scientific advances across these fields.
3) Identify key elements of good laboratory experimental design, employ effective teamwork to generate a well-reasoned research plan, and work in groups to execute research plans in the laboratory.
4) Critically evaluate and interpret quantitative and qualitative experimental data of variable quality.
5) Plan and perform a clear and concise conference-style oral presentation using effective teamwork.
6) Demonstrate awareness of the importance of teamwork and the human qualities necessary to work in an international group.
Academic credit subject to home institution approval.
GBP 3500: £3500 covers the full programme fee for the summer school. Please note accommodation costs and aspects of the social programme shall be an additional cost.
GBP 3000: This early bird fee is available for those who apply before the 17 February..
The Faculty of Medicine will award up to two scholarships for those best able to demonstrate outstanding potential in biomedical sciences via an additional application process (details on website)