21 September 2019
European Identity between Unity and Diversity
The Faculty of Social Sciences of Charles University would like to invite you to the academic programme Summer University Prague 2019: “European Identity between Unity and Diversity”. Its objective is to provide students with a broad understanding of the most significant political and social issues in contemporary Europe. The course provides an interdisciplinary approach and combines multiple learning methods, such as lectures, workshops, discussions, field work and student presentations. However, emphasis will be given on group work. Students will not only have the opportunity to explore a range of interesting topics and gain valuable insights into the current challenges and risks to the development of Europe, but will also have the occasion to improve their research and presentation skills. Moreover, there will be numerous free-time activities that will provide participants with a chance to enjoy the wide range of attractions that Prague has to offer.
The course is internationally acknowledged, successful participants will be given 4 or 8 ECTS credits, depending on the extent of their work. For detailed information please see our official homepage: https://summer-university.fsv.cuni.cz/.
Charles University (founded in 1348) is the oldest and largest university in the country, one of the best universities in Central Europe.
This study programme is intended for students who are currently enrolled in a college or university or have recently graduated. Advanced bachelorʼs programme students and masterʼs programme students of social sciences and humanities have the best chances to be admitted.
- to provide students with a broad understanding of the most significant recent political and social issues in Europe
- to analyse the current challenges and risks for the future of European development
- to improve research and presentation skills
- Option No. 1 (4 ECTS credits): Students will earn 4 ECTS credits for active participation in the programme, which includes attendance, preparation (reading materials) for the workshop sessions, and taking part in the final group presentations.
- Option No. 2 (8 ECTS credits): Students will earn 8 ECTS credits for active participation in the programme (as described above) and the submission of a seminar paper of 15-20 pages (optimally within one month after the course finishes).
- After fulfilling all requirements, students will receive an official transcript with 3 or 6 ECTS credits and their grade. We use the ECTS grading scale of A to F, where A is the best and F means failed.
- In addition to the official transcript, students who have actively participated will get an official certificate of participation on the last day of the course. (This official certificate does not have any grade or number of credits stated on it.)
EUR 990: The programme fee of 990 EUR is the total price and it includes:
- Tuition (all lectures, workshops, discussions, excursions etc. as mentioned on our website)
- Cultural and social events (as mentioned on our website)
- Reading materials (an on-line version will be at your disposal after enrolling)
- Accommodation in the dormitory
- 2 meals per day (breakfasts and lunches)
- advice and help of our team during whole your stay in Prague