4 September 2020
on course website
Consciousness and Cognition
Although cognitive science has become a topic of public debate, fundamental questions remain about its relationship with the mind and, in turn, about the relationship of the mind with the brain. If we accept the functionalist computational metaphor, the details of the mental processes underlying biology become irrelevant. The same happens with the problem of subjectivity: though subjective experience is at the center of the human being, its study must be abandoned in order to adapt to computationalism. Secondly, despite the fact that billions of euros are invested, neuroscience does not progress as quickly as expected.
Students are invited to an alternative approach based on dynamic systems, which eventually finds a comprehensive formalism in quantum field theory. Actually, the question of the relations between quantum mechanics and the theory of mind requires specific attention, as well as the AI.
Prof. Bruno Neri
Graduate Students and Scholars interested in multidisciplinary studies concerning the new Science of Consciousness, psychologists and psychotherapists.
At the end of the Summer School, students should:
- Know the basic arguments in the philosophy of mind from Plato through Descartes, Berkeley, Hume, Kant, Levine and such popular putative contributions as that of Chalmers
- Acquire sensitivity to the distinction between Cognition and Consciousness
- Acquire a basic knowledge about the main techniques for brain and neural activity investigation
- Understand the limits of the approach to the study of Consciouseness based on computational cognitivism
- Acquire a basic comprehension of the impact of Quantum Physics in the Science of Consciousness
- Acquire basic knowledge on alternative paradigms to the dominant one in neuroscience which tends to exclude subjective experience as an object of scientific analysis.
EUR 250: Tuition fee.
The summer school will be held in a residential form at the Lama Tzong Khapa Institute in Pomaia 35 km from Pisa (https://www.iltk.org/en/). In the coming days, the costs for accommodation and food (from 35 to 50 Euros per day, for room and board, depending on the chosed solution) for those who want to stay at the Institute will be announced in detail. It is possible to opt also for other types of accommodation in the surroundings of the Institute.
AvailableRegister for this course
on course website