21 October 2020
on course website
Eye Tracking Research Toolbox
Eye tracking is a powerful method to study the human mind and behavior. This course will allow you to explore key concepts in eye tracking research and help you integrate it in your study. The course is divided into two components: (1) a conceptual framework to help you make better decisions when planning and executing a study, allowing you to turn eye tracking data into valuable insights; (2) a practical introduction to the challenges and trade-offs you will encounter during a study, helping you to establish a set of "good practices" that you can easily transfer to your research.
Key concepts in this eye-tracking course are:
Choosing your eye tracker: what do different types of eye trackers measure?
- The ideal eye-tracking experiment
- Designing your study: the data-quality and data-analysis perspectives
- Working with Areas of Interest
- Eye tracking with difficult participants
- Reading and reporting eye-tracking data
In covering these concepts during the summer course, the focus will be on the trade-offs, not the "right" answer. Usually, in eye-tracking research, absolute right answers do not exist. In this course, we will stress that context (e.g. which participant group are you measuring? what question are you trying to answer? where is the research conducted?) is important for the implementation of eye tracking.
Dr. Ignace Hooge
Individuals who are (one of) the first in their group, company, or research field to use eye tracking. Previous attendees have come from:
- Academia (PhD-students, postdocs, professors from e.g. psychology, biology, medicine, computer science)
- Commercial institutions (e.g. marketing research, usability, decision making)
- Non-commercial institutions (e.g. hospitals, air traffic control, army)
Note that this is not an exhaustive list and attendees from different fields are very welcome as well.
To let you make better decisions to optimize your eye-tracking study.
EUR 695: Course + course materials (housing not available)Register for this course
on course website