16 July 2021
Principles of Business and Management
This module introduces you to relevant concepts to provide an understanding of the business environment. This module is suited for all, you will only require an interest in understanding business environments and the issues effecting contemporary business. This module sets the scene and provides a platform for future study as well as helping you to appreciate the interconnected nature of business organisations, the environment in which they operate, and the people involved.
Through collaborative team-based activities, you will show an ability to engage in a critical discussion of issues effecting contemporary business and analyse a selected organisation’s approach to a selected managerial process. Topics and concepts may include - Organisational Structure, Management Theory, Corporate Social Responsibility and the culture and ethics of business organisations.
The module will help you contextualise the study of organisations and should give you the capability to analyse organisation and management issues in contemporary setting. You will also work collaboratively in team-based activities providing networking opportunities throughout the module. This module may include in-class simulations, where you evaluate the success of a selected organisation’s market performance.
The University of Sussex Business School has EQUIS accreditation - the most comprehensive institutional accreditation system for business and management schools in terms of governance, programmes, students, faculty, research, internationalisation, ethics, responsibility and sustainability, as well as engagement with the world of practice.
The Business School has been awarded Top 10 in the UK for Business and Economics (The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020) and 3rd in the UK for annual research income (Chartered Association of Business Schools 2018)
This module is suited for all, you will only require an interest in understanding business environments and the issues effecting contemporary business. This module sets the scene and provides a platform for future study as well as helping you to appreciate the interconnected nature of business organisations, the environment in which they operate, and the people involved.
- Display understanding of a range of reliable and relevant concepts underlying the study of contemporary business and management
- Show an ability to engage in a critical discussion of issues affecting contemporary business
- Analyse a selected organisation's approach to a selected managerial process
- Evaluate the success of a selected organisation's performance in its undertaking of a selected managerial process
All our modules have been formally approved for 15 Sussex credits; equivalent to 7.5 ECTS or 3-4 US credits. This means that your study at Sussex over the summer can count towards your degree.
Sussex modules are accepted for transfer credit towards degrees at most colleges and universities. But policies and degree requirements vary, so you should obtain approval for transfer of module credit before you apply.
Please consult with your study abroad advisor before choosing your modules to ensure you are able to transfer any credit you need.
GBP 2250: This is made up of:
Tuition - £1500 per session
Accommodation and campus programme fee - £750 per session
Tuition fees of £1500 per session include:
- All teaching and assessment for one module of study. Where field trips or course excursions are required then the cost of this is included in the tuition feer, however travel costs may be required
- A minimum of 150 study hours, with a minimum of 40 hours class/teaching contact hours
- Modules formally approved for 15 Sussex credits, equivalent to 7.5 ECTS or 3 – 4 US credits
- A transcript of studies upon successful completion of the module (including meeting all attendance and assessment requirements).
The accommodation and campus programme fee of £750 per session include:
- Your own bedroom in on-campus East Slope student village. These are a mixture of en-suite flats and standard flats with shared facilities
- Bedding pack of duvet and duvet cover, sheet, towel, pillow and pillowcase
- Daily meal allowance
- Programme of free campus social events and activities throughout each session. Free excursions and social programme trips will be provided on Fridays and weekends.
If you are applying from one of our partner institutions, you will be entitled to a reduction in tuition fees. Please contact your study abroad office or email@example.com for more information.