30 July 2021
Music Production for Young Women and Girlsonline course
This one-week online course at Guildhall School of Music & Drama will provide an opportunity for young women, girls and female identifying participants aged 14–21 to develop their skills in composition and music technology, through daily workshops, which will cover a range of skills including composing music for film, making a dance track and developing a conceptual piece.
This course is aimed at young women, girls and female identifying participants who want to develop their understanding of music production with a focus on electronic music. The course has been designed as a response to an underrepresented group within the industry and has been tailored with masterclasses and workshops from women in electronic music, as well as advice and a Q&A session for women and girls wanting to pursue a career in music production. We hope to inspire an upcoming generation with the vision to create a more balanced sector.
Ieva Vaiti is a Lithuanian producer and sound designer based in London, UK. She is currently a professor of Electronic Music at Guildhall School of Music & Drama and is actively involved within the education sector.
Young women, girls and female identifying participants aged 14–21 at beginner to intermediate level, interested in making their own music, whilst gaining inspiration from producers in the industry.
Each day will start with live sessions and exercises which will give you an opportunity to get to know each other. The course tutor will be available between 10am and 5pm for any 1:1 help, live sessions or questions. There will also be masterclasses from industry professionals and a seminar that focuses on how to further develop your skills within the industry.
During the course you will:
- Learn the ins and outs of Ableton Live software including MIDI, synthesis, audio editing, plug-ins and shortcuts.
- Focus on composition and production skills - including sound design, composition techniques, beat making, harmony and more.
- Learn different skills required as a composer in different fields.
- Produce a piece of music by the end of each day, with a final project in the end.
- Participate in webinars and masterclasses, ask questions live and get 1:1 advice from your tutor.
- Meet other like-minded participants to share ideas and musical interests with.
- You will also receive a handout of each lesson and a glossary to refer to at any time.
If you are interested in learning about using Logic Pro X, we also run a Music Production in Logic Pro X: Online course.
GBP 525: £525
As part of Guildhall School’s commitment to widening participation we are able to offer a number of fully-funded places on this short course to selected applicants who meet our eligibility criteria. Further information is on our website.