2 June 2021
Intermediate Level Shakespeare: An Experiential Workshoponline course
This six-week online evening course at Guildhall School of Music & Drama will take your classical acting to the next level. Working with one of the UK’s leading classical actors, you can expect to take part in a series of fun sessions, that will equip you with tools to perfect your Shakespeare. The course will be divided between practical work, group discussion, lectures and an informal ‘sharing’ at the end of the course.
Wednesday evenings on 28 April, 5, 12, 19, 26 May and 2 June 2021
The course is led by Mariah Gale. She trained at Guildhall School and is an Associate Artist at the Royal Shakespeare Company. She has an extensive acting CV performing both contemporary and classical leading roles at major institutions.
- Those who wish to further their skills having already completed a previous introductory level course (e.g. Introduction to Shakespeare: An Experiential Workshop).
- Those who have not completed the introductory level, but feel very confident in handling Shakespeare’s language and are happy to be learning in a fast-paced learning environment.
- Those considering acting training and/or already in the industry who wish to refresh their skills.
This is a practical acting workshop during which you will explore and develop your knowledge of the following:
- Working with ease and believability
- Iambic pentameter
- Thought structure
- Shakespeare’s use of sound and what it unlocks
- Approaching fresh texts with sophistication and confidence
- Finding a unique performance
You can expect to:
- Work in an interactive group workshop environment: learn both from your own practical exploration and from watching others work
- Work on either a monologue or duologue, which will be presented to the rest of the group in an informal 'sharing’ at the end of the course
- Experience what it is like to be directed and to work on a personally challenging level
- Get a ‘potted vocal warm up’ under your belt
- Feel confident you have a checklist of practical exercises to apply to Shakespearian verse
- Those who have completed Introduction to Shakespeare: an Experiential Workshop will be able to consolidate their learning and take their knowledge and experiences to the next level of sophistication
GBP 250: £250